NEFF Fridge not cold enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we've just moved into a house with a built in NEFF fridge, probably a good few years old.

It's not getting cold enough, we've tested the temp with a free standing fridge thermometer and it wasn't going below 10C, so we were throwing loads of food away.

Following the advice in the manual, I pulled the thing out and located the water trap which I cleaned out as well as the fan and spiral condenser(?). They were totally clogged with filth, so I was hopeful it would now work. Unfortunately, although the temp gauge showed 2C with no food inside, it's been going overnight now with food in, and only got down to 8C.

So, my question is; is there anything else I can do? What is the problem likely to be?

Many thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Update.....turning the control knob to Max at number4, the temp in the fridge has now decreased to 5C.

So, it's getting down to a normalise range I guess, but only when max power setting is selected and if the door isn't opened too many times.

I there anything else I should be looking at?

Hi there folks

Sorry to Bump this thread, but this isn't working. I'm getting an average of 8C in the fridge and we're still having to bin food. How do I check whether the thermostat is working properly? I mean how do I tell if the fridge has stopped working at trying to get colder? If the fan has stopped does that indicate that it thinks it's down to temperature?

Cheers

Jon

with some integrated units with the decor door attached to the fridge door seal contact can be an issue, what I do is remove the decor door and run it over night, also if you can get a playing card and shut it in the door, and try pulling it out after 10 mins if it comes out without resistance the seal is not maikng good contact, try it top and bottom and the sides,
Dev

Sponsored Links
May thanks for your reply Dev.

with some integrated units with the decor door attached to the fridge door seal contact can be an issue, what I do is remove the decor door and run it over night, also if you can get a playing card and shut it in the door, and try pulling it out after 10 mins if it comes out without resistance the seal is not maikng good contact, try it top and bottom and the sides,

Yeah, I took the oak panel door off straight away and replaced the seal (which was perished) thinking that would sort that, but I will try the playing card trick and if the seal isn't good enough I guess I'm into new hinges?

The hinges aren't cheap though, so I would like to be more certain that the rest of the workings of the fridge are up to scratch, before I spend more on it in case I have to replace it.

If its easy to slide out do that and let it run, have you checked that the fan IS turning when running, hinges, unless the spring loaded action is nacked they will be ok generally if the door closes the last inch or two by itself thats fine.
Dev

Morning Dev, yes I slid the fridge out some while ago and the wife is giving me grief for it being in the way ever since! I'm pretty sure the hinges don't close the door at all, so again it's looking like we need new hinges.

Sometimes the fan runs, sometimes not. I had to give it a good hoover out as it was chocka with crap/fluff etc, so it's ability to run effectively was dramatically reduced. Would the fan always run if the fridge is actively trying to reduce it's temperature? I must read up about how fridges work, not sure about it.

Thanks again.

Jon

Right, after a bit more of a look at this problem, I've decided against ordering the hinges until I've seen whether the temp will go down overnight when I've wedged something heavy up against the door.

If I understand it correctly, the next suspect would be the thermostat? Is there any way in which these things can be fixed - Neff have discontinued the thermostat for this fridge.

I'm not even sure where the thermostat is, if anyone can spare the time to have a look at this and let me know, much appreciated;
http://www.neff-eshop.com/eshop/neff/gb/prodp.htm?prod=K4310X0GB(00)

Many thanks

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back