Neighbor Cut my underground pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Ive been digging around in my backyard and found my rainwater pipe has been cut.

I followed the pipe and found that it has been cut right at their new extensions. I moved in after the extension. And new neighbors have moved in. But it looks like it has been cut to lay their foundation.

What can I do here?

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_134143.jpg
    IMG_20220610_134143.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20220610_134557.jpg
    IMG_20220610_134557.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20220610_134611.jpg
    IMG_20220610_134611.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20220610_135039.jpg
    IMG_20220610_135039.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
why is your rainwater pipe running into their property at a depth of just 1 foot.

why is your rainwater pipe running into their property at a depth of just 1 foot.
Hi,

That is the foundation to their extension. The pipe is 60cm deep. It looks like they cut the pipe when digging the foundation to their extension.

Did he get building regs and planning approval for the extension? Get on to the legal people at your buildings insurance.

Sponsored Links
And new neighbors have moved in

Ask them to reconnect or reroute it and see what they say. You can point out that it will only undermine their foundations and could cause them serious issues down the line.

When it rains does water come out of the cut pipe ? It might be that the pipe took water from your neighbour's property into the drainage system of your property and onward to the main sewer.

When the extension was built it is possible that a new drainage system was installed and that pipe became redundant.

Did he get building regs and planning approval for the extension? Get on to the legal people at your buildings insurance.
I don't know about the planning approval. It was before I moved in.

Will my building insurance cover this?

When it rains does water come out of the cut pipe ? It might be that the pipe took water from your neighbour's property into the drainage system of your property and onward to the main sewer.

When the extension was built it is possible that a new drainage system was installed and that pipe became redundant.
Yes water comes out. This area was always damp, and when it rains heavy there's a a stream, I assumed it was an overflowing gutter.

I don't know about the planning approval. It was before I moved in.

Will my building insurance cover this?
good point above. it could be their pipe been terminated. check first.
Doubt your insurance would cover it but you most likely have legal cover .

your rainwater should discharge into a soakaway on your land min 2 metres from boundary and min 5 metres from house foundations.

I think your best way forward is to find a solution on your property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back