Neighbors Conservatory, is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, first time post so please be gentle!
the story is, i have just moved into my first house\home (vacant possession on the 15th October) while the sale was going through the next door neighbor applied for retrospective planning for a conservatory. i wasnt living there to object and didnt know about the planning till i checked with the local council last week and found it was applied for and approved.
can anyone shed some light on whether this is what i should see from my back doors?
View media item 84911 View media item 84912i have spoken to the local council and they are going to have a look, what if anything can i expect from them?
thanks in advance
S

Sponsored Links
What are you expecting the council to do? If it has been built in accordance with the drawings then they won't take any action.

There is little restriction to side glazing at ground level. Before they did the conservatory, looking at the levels it looks like they could have stood next to the boundary and seen in to your garden anyway?

It wasn't built when you looked at the house initially then?

There could be an issue of trespass if either the guttering or the opening top windows overhang your property (which isn't clear from the photo). I'm not sure what you could do about it, that didnt involve considerable legal expense.

Cheers
Richard

You can see it doesn't overhang, surprised it wasn't PD anyway. Maybe the OP meant retrospective PD.

Sponsored Links
What are you expecting the council to do? If it has been built in accordance with the drawings then they won't take any action.

There is little restriction to side glazing at ground level. Before they did the conservatory, looking at the levels it looks like they could have stood next to the boundary and seen in to your garden anyway?

It wasn't built when you looked at the house initially then?

hi, the drawings show a larger gap between conservatory and boundary are these required to be drawn to scale?. it was there when i viewed and wasnt really an issue as i was more interested in the house, as i said retrospective permission was sought while the sale went through.
it has only come to my attention since the windows have been opened and these go over the fence\boundary and a couple of builder friends have commented on it. in regards to levels i think yes they could have seen into the garden as was.
i dont know what im expecting from the council but i wanted to start somewhere.
the only thing i can think of is that the people i bought from didnt contest it at the time as they were leaving? who knows, i just wanted some ideas of how to proceed.
thanks for your time.
s

You can see it doesn't overhang, surprised it wasn't PD anyway. Maybe the OP meant retrospective PD.

the windows do overhang the fence, sorry for being dense but PD is what? it i believe it needs Planning Permission as its longer than 3m (3.7 according to plan)
s

Forget about PD. It's irrelevant now that planning has been approved. Put up a 2m high fence if you are concerned about it or build yourself an extension with a solid aside wall.

Hi, looks like a fence then! The 2nd pic is of the plans submitted to the council, I don't know if it means anything but it shows the boundary fence 1.5 squares away from the conservatory, according to the key a square is .5 M2 so that is roughly 75cm? Which is live able.
Sorry to flog a dead horse but I'm p1ssed off!
Just to add PD is only valid upto 3m in length on a terraced house, hence the need for retrospective PP, which was I think snidely applied for in the 3 months between offer and completion!
Thanks all
S

If they have not built it in accordance with the approved plans then there has been a breach of the conditions. However it would seem that they have submitted drawings that did not actually accurately reflect the as-built conservatory so a bit of an oddity.

In anycase I doubt very much that it would have been refused.

Furthermore even if the council investigates it is extremely unlikely to go any further than some crappy letters to the neighbour as it’s a minor breach (as planning breaches go) and it would not be seen to be in the publics interest to pursue it legally.

Though it was built when you viewed the property so still can’t get my head round why you should be so peed off.

You could ask them if they’d be prepared to fit window restrictors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back