Planning of a conservatory under permitted rights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Hopefully this is a fairly simple one.

A neighbor is objecting about my planning application for a new conservatory to the rear of my property. I missed the boat with the neighbor consultation scheme (so i am told) so have to put in full planning.

Curiously, their conservatory which is the same size and is 1ft from the boundary is not found anywhere on the council planning website.

Are applications under the Larger Homes Extension Scheme / Neighbour Consultation / Prior approval usually available to view on the councils website? Im sure they havent been silly enough to moan about my identically sized structure when thiers does not have planning.

Id rather not call and make a direct enquiry and risk blowing up relations, but they are being very difficult.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Woody, Just the one in bold.

If they have planning permission / have made the local council aware through prior approval (not full planning, but using the larger homes extension scheme) then should the details still be viewable online?

I am trying to determine if they have planning / prior approval for a conservatory some 5.2m from back of existing property but nothing is shown online in local authority planning search, and the block plan for my planning application doesnt show theirs either.

Thanks

Hi Woody, Just the one in bold.

If they have planning permission / have made the local council aware through prior approval (not full planning, but using the larger homes extension scheme) then should the details still be viewable online?

I am trying to determine if they have planning / prior approval for a conservatory some 5.2m from back of existing property but nothing is shown online in local authority planning search, and the block plan for my planning application doesnt show theirs either.

Thanks

Yes they will be on the planning portal, if done in recent years....I presume so if it was done under large scheme.

Try different searches, like just the street.....sometimes I find the portal search doesn't find the house if you put in the full address. If no joy ring up the planning office and ask if they could check for you.

It would be ironic if your neighbour complains about your plans if they never got permission for theirs.....if so they might be wanting to suddenly really like your plans :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks Notch.

Their conservatory is 2.5 yrs old, was being completed when i moved in. They have placed some windows facing the boundary, some 225mm away and say my extension would block their light, hence they have called planning who sent an enforcement officer. All very civil with enforcement, and I have a planning application submitted now and under consideration. Planning officer meeting me next week.

I was concerned that they would consider this a valid reason (why put windows facing the boundary ill never know) and possibly refuse. Adds a different complexion if theirs should have had planning too.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure that even development under these schemes should appear on the local austerity planning website - ive done as detailed search as i can and nothing for that property.

Ill chat with planning officer and if he thinks they have a valid concern i may raise the issue.

Thanks again

The last few I've done are not recorded against the address, and neither is neighbour consultation an option in the advanced search terms for type of application.

All Planning applications are uploaded to Council websites as that gives people the chance to comment. A Prior Approval application would therefore be uploaded. A part of the PA process is for neighbours to be notified and any comments taken on board.

If you are unable to find their application online, have they even tried to secure any type of approval?

Btw, what do you mean when you say you missed the boat with the NCS and had to submit a Full application?

Hi DevilDamo,

The next door conservatory was completed just after i bought the property. The prior owner of my house had passed away - with several months of probate and conveyancing, I guess they started shortly after he had died - possibly he was resistant to the idea.

There are no records attached to the next door property online therefore I do not think they have permission for it, but I did not simply want to assume this was the case. At face value, with nothing on the planning property searches on LA website, it seems there was no approval sought.

When i say i missed the boat, it would be easier to detail a timeline of events:

1) I contacted BC with my proposals - they confirmed works were not notifiable and exempt under class 7 Schedule 2.
2) I dug out and placed trench fill footings. My intention was to do this before end Sept whilst i had some leave to take with the main works to be undertaken starting match next year when weather is better, and go through NCS somewhere in between.
3) Neighbour (with said conservatory) complained to council about i was building an illegal structure. They cited it would block out light to their conservatory windows, which they have placed in the wall facing the boundary, some 9 inches from the 2ft high boundary fence.
4) Enforcement officer came out and said i cannot use the NCS as works had already started and it is not retrospective. I queried that nothing had been laid, and at worst the foundation is 150mm below ground and can easily be covered back up. He was steadfast that works has commenced and said i required full planning.
5) I am fine with that, as im in no real rush, and possibly neighbours would kick up under the NCS anyway. I drew up plans and have submitted to LA.
6) In drawing plans I noted that the conservatory next door was not on any location or block plan. I searched the LA planning database and could not find any record for its approval.
7) I dont want to alert the council to this yet - Planning officer coming out next week and ill ask him on site if he has any concerns over the siting of the extension adjacent to the conservatory - and if the neighbors are justified that the blocking light to several side windows facing the boundary may end up in refusal. If this is the case, i might alert him to the fact the structure has no approval. Ill play it by ear. Neighbours haven't formally objected yet - maybe they've realized they've messed up big time.
8) I will also state that ill be putting up a new 2m fence as is my right, which will block out more light as its closer to their conservatory than the proposed extension is.

Edit** Just to be clear, the neighbouring 5 m deep conservatory next door is mostly brick to the side, but the last 2m has glazed panels facing the boundary, and top windows above 1.8m from e.g.l facing the boundary. I have worked very hard to keep the height of my extension to a minimum at additional cost and materials, so as not to impact this - however the placement of these windows is incredibly restrictive and there will always be some impact of light lost through these. In my opinion, they were ill advised and should have had brick wall all the way along so that they dont have windows facing into neighbouring garden from a boundary position.

I am not in any way intentionally looking to upset anyone, but if it comes to the fact that these poorly placed windows have an impact upon planning I will be quite disappointed. I would like to keep the peace as i dont plan on moving, but I am reluctant to move the extension wall further from the boundary as there would need to be structural works to the house (moving an opening) which seems an unnecessary expense.

Im just waiting for planning, another 5-6 weeks they think. Not that im planning any more work this side of Christmas, but would be good to know i can proceed.

Many thanks again

Last edited:
Do you know if the neighbour secured BR approval for their extension because one of the conditions for that would be their windows cannot be openable but fire resisting?

As those windows are that high up in the wall, Planning wouldn’t consider them as primary windows anyway. And I assume those windows are just for that added borrowed light and they do already have windows and doors on the other elevations?

When the Planning Officer carries out their visit, they will pick up on the neighbours extension and any impact on it. It may also mention whether it should have required Planning and that may actually go in your favour.

Thanks again guys for your responses.

I doubt they have BR approval if they didnt bother with planning. I recall that all windows within 1000mm from boundary should be fire rated. As i recall, there should be an E30 mark to show this. Maybe its something new now, ill have to read up and check to see if they did that.

And I assume those windows are just for that added borrowed light and they do already have windows and doors on the other elevations?

Yes, frontage is fully glazed above dwarf wall, as is roof and opposite side. Does the roof glazing thats next to the boundary need to be fire rated too? Id have thought not - how would that work with polycarb roofs?

Good to know that the upper windows wont be considered as primary windows - I was not aware of that. Theyre only small, about 300mm in height.

So i simply plan to ask the officer if they consider there to be a negative impact on the neighbouring property and if this in any way would affect the decision to grant or refuse permission.

If he says no, ill keep quiet but let the neighbours know that i know, as it were.
If he says it may impact the decision, or if neighbours formally object through planning then i will let the planning officer know that their structure is currently without planning and possibly BC approval.

Thanks - ill keep you updated as to what happens.

However building regulations don't apply to conservatories.

Is that true? I understand the notification is exempt as a class 7 structure under schedule 2 of BR2010, but there still needs to be compliance to some elements of Part L, such as toughened glass within 800mm of floor level. I thought the fire rating came into that .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back