Neighbors shed/waste possibly cause of damp, help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a detached property , as you stand facing my neighbors drive is to the left of mine 1 cars width and my drive is on my right hand side again 1 cars width, the properties are at the bottom of a sloping street and I am the last house so my house is slightly lower than my neighbors.
My neighbors has a fence 1/2 way down his blocking of his drive so he can house a shed on the drive at the back of this fence , but , up against my house not his.

We have noticed damp in our kitchen 1/2 way down our living and all the kitchen which coincidentally is were his fence starts and his shed is and were all the flags and bricks are also stack up against my property.

This mainly appears in bad rainy months so I phoned a good friend who's a builder with years of experience and he said the problem could be the DPC has failed but it's more than likely the neighbors shed and all the wood bricks and god knows what up against our property.

The sloping flat roof of his sheds slopes towards mine so when it rains it acts like a funnel and to top it all he has boards stacked up at the back of his shed leaning on to his shed and straight on to my DPC.

There is a kerb line going from the front of my garden then down the side of my property separates his tarmaced drive from mine and on my side of the kerb it is lower than the kerb by about 6"-8"inch and filled with stone blow that so not to breach my DPC, but he has bricks and flags on top of the stone lent up against mine.

He has also at some point probably while I've not been home sneakily added a 2x2 support timber and drilled it into my living room wall to steady the fence up but it's directly inline with our gas flu due to the fence been 1/2 way down my property.

luckily we have electric wall heater so we will have to have the flu tested to make sure he hasn't drilled through it.
The shed that's up against ours is full to the brim with painting and decorating tins and god knows how many blankets for his job which makes the wife wife panic incase there's fire, this about a 10 x 6 shed so no small shed.

He locks the gate and the last time I asked I had to wait for weeks for him to say yes so I could drill to add a tv coax cable to my tv. The cavity installation could not be done all around the shed as the couldn't get in to drill so they couldn't guarantee it would travel the full size of the shed.

My friend said , the only way would be to get the shed moved a ft back and get him to change the slope of the roof so it goes towards his and clear all the bricks and flags and remove the fence post, basically he said if that doesn't cure it it might need injecting and the shed would have to shoved right out the way so he can get in to fully investigate to resolve it..

So what rights do I have ? I cant't get in to do any work i.e paint fascia's damp etc, , he padlocks the gate and I'm left with a damp wall probably caused by his shed.
I don't want to end up in court I'm not that way I would like to resolve it amicably but I also don't know my rights.

Any help I would be grateful

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back