Neighbour consultation vs detached outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to buy a detached house with a large garden, my hope is to build a room in the garden about 7m by 5m. Ideally I would have it connected to the garage to allow access from the house without braving the elements.
I understand if I attach it to the back of the garage which is part of the original house, I would need Neighbour consultation approval.
My question is if the neighbours object, can I circumvent any planning requirement by having a small gap between the garage and new room to make it an outbuilding rather than an extension? I am reading the rules that way, but seems bizarre that I can build what is basically the same room if neighbours object.

Any thoughts appreciated?

Sponsored Links
You can build a detached structure very near to the existing house without needing planning permission. There are a number of appeal cases where gaps of 50mm and even less have been acceptable.
At the end of the day, a detached building is a detached building; the permitted development rules don't stipulate any minimum distance.

Speak to your neighbours, see if they have any objections

The house is in a different town, so not straight forward to talk to them yet.I doubt they will have a problem, but nice to know there are options.

Sponsored Links
You can build a detached structure very near to the existing house without needing planning permission. There are a number of appeal cases where gaps of 50mm and even less have been acceptable.
At the end of the day, a detached building is a detached building; the permitted development rules don't stipulate any minimum distance.

thanks Tony, I was guessing that was the case so many thanks for confirming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back