Neighbour, fence, rottweiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I have a bit of an issue regarding our garden fence. We have 11 panels between us and our neighbour.

The fence is technically theirs it is half height at around 3ft with a bit of trellis on top. We moved in with our dog whom is a rottweiler, he is a big bounding clumsy oaf and soft as grease, a few years ago. After a few months the neighbour spoke to me and said they were worried about the dog being in the garden in the summer time as the kids are out in the garden a lot and dangle things over to him etc. I 100% understand their concern so I looked in to getting a bigger fence installed. It's turned out that right now it is just too expensive to replace the whole thing at our cost. They can't afford it either.

Has anyone had this issue before, or extended the height of a fence!? If so how!? I have contemplated attaching bamboo screening to the top past the height of the trellis but don't know how messy this would look!? I'm obviously trying to do this as cost effectively as possible, the house is rented so we don't want to shell out too much. And yes I realise we should have thought about it when we moved in, we didn't realise quite how short the fence was ourselves until it was too late!

Any ideas are greatly received!

Sponsored Links
What about putting a chain on the dog so that he can go around the garden but not jump over the fence, at least it would put you and your neighbours mind at rest.

Andy

We thought about that yes but veto'd it due the fact it can be seen as animal cruelty and they can hurt themselves. He is very strong and an avid chewer so it would have to be chain which wouldn't be ideal. Thank you for the reply though :).

Sponsored Links
if you have permission from your landlord for the dog to be there,then tell your neighbours to tell the kids DONT wind the dog up by dangling stuff over the fence,job done.

if you have permission from your landlord for the dog to be there,then tell your neighbours to tell the kids DONT wind the dog up by dangling stuff over the fence,job done.

Yes permission for him to be here. I think in all honesty the neighbours have read one too many dog attack horror stories and just want to feel a bit more secure in general. I'm trying to do what I can to appease them!

i can understand that m8,i own a white gsd.ive had kids climbing into my back garden to retrieve a football,and i shouted at them.then all of a sudden all hell broke lose with the kids parents coming out and having a go at me.they soon stopped when i bought the dog out and politely told them that if there lad comes into the garden again and the dog is out then as there lad is trespassing he is fair game,of course i would be mortified if anything happened to the lad but he did need educating in what he could and couldnt do.
and through his stupidity i could end up losing a member of my family.next time his ball came over he came round the front and knocked on my door,so i gave it back to him in bits as the dog got hold of it :LOL: :LOL: funnily enough i never saw him again out the back playing football.

only other thing i can suggest is to scour the free ads in your local papers for peeps off loading fence pannels and get in quick to grab them.

I hope you don't mind me saying
Just be careful, you don't want anything to happen, where your dog can be blamed. The fence panels will seem cheap at the price

ethics aside - have you tried freecycle or freegle?

You can quite often pick up fencing and trellis for free.

As a side issue - I think it's a very kind pragmatic thing you are both considering. It sounds like you get on OK with them - so where's the point getting pedantic and stomping your feet down as some other posters suggest?

good luck and I hope you sort it out!

Whitling2k

Attach chicken wire to the trellis, it doesn't cost a fortune. Depending on the width and size of cells, a 10 m roll is between £8 and £17. If you are going to stay there for more than a year, plant some ivy, it grows quickly and will cover the fence.

How about just changing part of the fence, say the back part, then fence the garden off so tour dog can only move around have for the garden.

We moved in with our dog whom is a rottweiler, he is a big bounding clumsy oaf and soft as grease, a few years ago. After a few months the neighbour spoke to me and said they were worried about the dog being in the garden in the summer time as the kids are out in the garden a lot and dangle things over to him etc. I 100% understand their concern so I looked in to getting a bigger fence installed. It's turned out that right now it is just too expensive to replace the whole thing at our cost.
how long ago did you move in and since when was it a problem? from this quote it seems like youve already left it a while, speak to them about going halfs seeing as its their fence and you are renting

im suprised you got decent replies on here about owning a rotti, the last time i said in a post on here that i had one i was told that it should be shot by a police marksman! charming! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back