Neighbour has put his cable over my boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.... Hoping for some advice. We have an Edwardian terraced house. Our neighbour has recently installed solar panels on his roof and shed roof. The cable from the shed roof he has run along OUR side of the boundary fence. He says it is not inconvenient to us, so won't remove it. I don't want it there. What can I do? Can I just cut and remove it?

All advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
As you have already advised him to remove it and he has refused, and its your side of the fence so on your property not his.

Get some tools and unclip it and chuck it back over his side.

But dont damage it.

Thank you.

What happens if it get's damaged? it's quite tight and i'm not sure I can easily remove it and chuck it back over. Can he make me pay for it if it becomes damaged?

Get some tools and unclip it and chuck it back over his side.

But dont damage it.

Easier said than done.
OP needs to be careful here - there is obviously some acrimony between him and the neighbour.
If the OP unclips the cable and drapes it back over the fence, the neighbour could slyly cut it, and then go running to the police. Before he knows it, OP could be facing a (admittedly bogus) charge of criminal damage.

Sponsored Links
Who owns the fence if you do he has caused damage by fixing to it.

But at the end of the day is it worth ending up on one of those neighbours from hell programmes for the sake of a cable? I know it rankles but unless you have issues with them over other things is the escalating aggro worth it?

send a recorded letter to him
in the heading copy to "planning department" "a local solicitors" " citizens advice"
stating
further to our recent request for you to remove your cable from my land and your refusal to do so
we require you to remove the cable within 2 weeks or we will remove it with any accidental damage at your risk

you dont actually send it to anyone else but they dont know that

either above or take pics of the cable,have the days newspaper in view to confirm the date.so when he says to you its damaged,you have pics to prove it wasnt you.

Do you have squirrels in the garden? you could smear the cable in peanut butter umm tasty :D

Check your house insurance as you normally have the option of choosing boundary dispute insurance as an extra for a nominal fee or sometimes added free.( in UK anyway).

If it is included contact your insurance company and get them to resolve the situation. Failing that contact citizens advice.

Best not to get into a conflict yourself.

you need to tell this person that actually running a cable down your side of a fence is very inconvenient because it exposes you to liability should any damage occur.

place your favourite crystal vase from your great granny on the entrance leading up to your neighbours house and tell him that its his problem if it gets stolen or should anyone knock it over by mistake.

why is it on your side of the fence anyway. id park my car in his living room.

cwho installed the solar panel was it a company if so contact them . get hold of the council they love stuff like this it gets them out of the office for the day

I may be wrong but I understood that solar installations come under Building Regs, so your neighbour may be in breach of this.

If nothing else your neighbour is in breach of good neighbourliness and I can see no reason why anyone would consider running a cable on their neighbour's side of the fence. Who's fence is it anyway? If your's then give him written notice to remove it and if he refuses just do it anyway. There is nothing he can do top force you to have his cable over your land - end of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back