neighbours lean to and boundary issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my neighbour has built a lean to (no walls, just a corrugated roof over rafters, resting on his rear wall and on a joist supported on vertical posts at the outer edge. It's spans about 2.2m out from the back of their house.

He's then fixed trellis which starts at 6' off the ground and goes up to the roof height which must be 9' along the side of it - it's actually fixed to the boundary fence posts between us (possibly his fence). So the 9' high trellis and the roof are aligned with the boundary fence beneath them.

The trellis is mismatched, I've had bits of previous roof coverings (hardboard and felt, corrugated plastic) land in my garden after blowing off in the wind. It's a real eyesore. He's stacked firewood in the shelter which fell down, pulling down the albeit rotten fence panel closest, and then didn't replace it - after 3 days I had to at my cost - I needed it done immediately as I have two kids under 3 and he has a Rottweiler.

He's also decked over almost the whole garden, save for a small patch of grass.

Should I contact Building Control / Planning and get them to take a look?

I really just want the lean to and trellis removed as they are a real eyesore.

Sponsored Links
:idea: Why don't you raise your concerns with your neighbour? There's no need to get all confrontational by getting the authorities involved. You may find your neighbour's an amiable chap :)

but are my concerns legitimate - do i have reason to go and express my concerns?

but are my concerns legitimate - do i have reason to go and express my concerns?

No.

You actually say that the whole reason behind your "concerns" is that you "want the lean to and trellis removed as they are a real eyesore"

That is not concern, its just being nasty and malicious

I can't see either building control or planning being of any help to you

You need to talk to him

Sponsored Links
On the contrary, if he’s decked his whole garden over & erected a fence over 2m high, depending on when he did it, he is in breach of Planning Regulations. This should give you all the info you need;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

If it’s his fence, he can fix anything he wishes to it & unless there is a covenant in the deeds requiring him to maintain it (sometimes with ex council properties) he can let the whole lot fall down if he wants to. He is under no obligation to maintain it, as long as it’s safe there is nothing you can do as long as it does not pose a risk of injury to you, your children or animals & that doesn’t include providing a physical barrier. You are actually causing criminal damage by repairing it; all you can do is erect your own fence your side of the boundary, less than 2m high of course. I would still advise you talk & try to reason with him but if he’s not the type to listen & a difficult, threatening arsehole, think carefully before you start a war as it can cause all sorts of problems & even scupper a potential sale.

On the contrary, if he’s decked his whole garden over & erected a fence over 2m high, depending on when he did it, he is in breach of Planning Regulations. This should give you all the info you need;

But that has got nothing to do with the OP. The last thing we want is neighbours peering over the fence for any possible contravention of planning regulations and then phoning the council up. What type of a society does that create?

By the same token, the OP should be out patrolling the streets looking for people dropping litter, cars with no tax, underweight bunches of bananas etc ... with the various council departments on speed dial

But that has got nothing to do with the OP. The last thing we want is neighbours peering over the fence for any possible contravention of planning regulations and then phoning the council up. What type of a society does that create?

By the same token, the OP should be out patrolling the streets looking for people dropping litter, cars with no tax, underweight bunches of bananas etc ... with the various council departments on speed dial
If the OP feels his neighbour doesn’t give a sheite about him & it’s obviously upsetting him, it has everything to do with him & he has every right to do something about it; but, as I said, he must consider how justified his reaction is & be careful how he goes about putting things right.

Woody, I don’t make the rules, I’m just a purveyor of facts. There are many, many things I don’t like in this life but, mostly, I haven’t got hope in hell of changing them. I learned long ago that just ignoring the rules or being a martyr against them doesn’t get you anywhere so the only real alternative is to understand the “rules” better than your opponent & use it to your advantage; less stressful & far more satisfying when somebody’s most important consideration is only themselves. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back