Neighbour is having his driveway done BUT...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my next door neighbour is having his driveway done. We share a driveway between our two houses and he is having 'his half' of our shared driveway done also. The problem is that becuase the drive is slightly curved downwards (like a dip towards the end) there is going to be a slight step along its length as the guy reckons it needs to be straight across the whole drive rather than following the curvature of the drive.

My problem is that not only will this look ridiculous, but his half of the driveway will be higher than mine meaning that if I want to have our driveway done including 'our side' of the shared drive i'll have to raise the blocks to match his height, but this will lower the Damp Proof Course of my house closer to the ground - and below the recommended 6". Whilst the land they're built on is the same level, his house is 3 bricks higher than mine, and thus so is his damp course which doesn't cause him problem. I just want the new drive to be the same level as the old and then we wouldn't have a problem.

The driveway guy is coming back tonight so we can all have a chat about it, but I know he'll try to fobb us both off, any advice?

Sponsored Links
Many people with this kind of sharing have a legal agreement over the ownership and maintenance of it. If you do, then have a close look at it.

In either case, without getting all litigious with your neighbour, suggest to him that raising the drive on his side will affect (a) the DPC of his house and (b) the way that rainwater runs, i.e. towards your house.

Suggest that you take longer to consider the maintenance work that needs to be done, and that you collaborate over it and share the cost.

If he won't play ball, then bring out the big guns and politely but firmly point out that he will automatically be liable for any adverse effect on (a) your house caused by drainage problems and (b) the value of your house.

if its being done in block paving then theres absolutly no reason why it cant follow the contours of the drive. (without seeing a picture)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back