Neighbours Chimney fumes come down my chimney!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a dining room with a real fire fitted in one room, and a gas 'real flame' effect fire in the lounge. When they were fitted and the old one's removed, the steel liners were also removed but not replaced.

My next door neighbour has a 'multi-fuel' burner in the room that sits next to our lounge.

When he has his fire on, the fumes come down OUR chimney sometimes, like tonight. I just got him round and he agreed to put his fire out, but he seems to think his chimney is OK. He had a steel liner fitted in his chimney when his multi-burner was fitted and his dining room has a sealed gas fire in it so that is all blocked off anyway.

Question 1) Can anyone recommend a reputable 'chimney person' in the Derby, Derbyshire area

Question 2) Is the fault most likely to be mine or his?

Question 3) Is there any cheap solutions that I can take to remedy the situation?

Thanks

Ted

Sponsored Links
Hi
It sounds you are experiencing downdraught from your flues.

Have you had both of your flues smoke tested to check their 'pull'?
Try smoke pellet testing (with caution as you may fill your house with smoke) at the times you can smell your neighbours fumes.

If your flue fails this test then you will need to fit a cowl to your chimney pots to help create up-draught such as the 'Rotorvent Chimney Cowl'.

They are not cheap but it may be your only solution apart from having both your open fire and your gas fire running to create up-draught in your flues!

Hope this helps

Check out this link :http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Chimney-Cowls.html

I have a dining room with a real fire fitted in one room, and a gas 'real flame' effect fire in the lounge. When they were fitted and the old one's removed, the steel liners were also removed but not replaced.

My next door neighbour has a 'multi-fuel' burner in the room that sits next to our lounge.

When he has his fire on, the fumes come down OUR chimney sometimes, like tonight. I just got him round and he agreed to put his fire out, but he seems to think his chimney is OK. He had a steel liner fitted in his chimney when his multi-burner was fitted and his dining room has a sealed gas fire in it so that is all blocked off anyway.

Question 1) Can anyone recommend a reputable 'chimney person' in the Derby, Derbyshire area

Question 2) Is the fault most likely to be mine or his?

Question 3) Is there any cheap solutions that I can take to remedy the situation?

Thanks

Ted

corgibloke, first time on a forum?

may i suggest you use the
icon_edit.gif
, and edit your post, it looks like the OP wrote it all

here is a quote

breezer said:
reed and pipe organ

this is how i did it

{quote="breezer"} reed and pipe organ {/quote}

but where you see { } use [ ]

two slightly distorted guitars

yours looks like

corgibloke, first time on a forum?

may i suggest you use the
icon_edit.gif
, and edit your post, it looks like the OP wrote it all

here is a quote

breezer said:
reed and pipe organ

this is how i did it

{quote="breezer"} reed and pipe organ {/quote}

but where you see { } use [ ]

its hard to tell what was added

two slightly distorted guitars

clicky

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back