Neighbours Condensing boiler vent location advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My neighbours have relocated or installed a new boiler. The vent is now very close to the boundary wall. I dare not ask them about it, as they are very abusive (I also an issue where they removed the flue they had in my old copper boiler chimney and have dislodged the chimney pot. I dare not ask them to fix it).

I have a very small garden (see photo taken in summer). These 'fumes' depending on the wind blow into my garden (where I hang my washing, have a patio set etc). My daughter videoed them coming into the house when the back door was open. The back door is immediately to the left of the window seen in the photographs.

I did stand on my garden bench to get a closer look, but they saw me and bawled it's only steam and won't harm me. Next thing he came around and hammered at my front door. I daren't answer. I now dare not look over the wall to see how far the vent is from the wall, but looking at the how close the fumes appear to come up the wall, I am sure it is right against the wall. They have chopped back the ivy where the fumes now come up.

I am too scared to contact the local Environmental Health Officer unless I can be sure it is not compliant.

Please can anyone offer my any advice?

Thanks in advance,

A very anxious Roverpat

Sponsored Links
It is really only stream but even so they should not vent towards your property closer than 2.5 m

However, your situation is a bit different because there is a solid wall and that creates a barrier between their flue discharge and your property.

I would say that you don't really have any very valid complaint based solely on what I can see in your photos.

What distance between their flue and the boundary?

But because you are so timid I don't see what you would do even if there is a valid complaint.

Tony

Sponsored Links
There is a document from the Office of ther Deputy Prime Minister. I can't remember exactly but it is either no direct discharge of a condensing boiler flue against a boundary or wall or anything less than 2 or 2.5m. The plume is a slightly acidic vapour, ordinary steam is not acidic. It will not help the wall if it is your wall.

Up to you how to go about it. Building control would be my first port of call but they will not know the regs in all probability so download the relevant document first and have it to hand when and if they help you.

I am shocked, upset and disappointed by some of the replies. It was a genuine request for advice, not derogatory comments. I am already very down!!! It is not a case of not being prepared to do anything, but I cannot directly! Most of the neighbours are scared of them too! I have googled my heart out and if anyone stood in my tiny garden and saw the "fumes" they might understand. This forum was for advice not sarky comments. I am leaving this forum.

Its water vapour and carbon dioxide with a tiny bit of other stuff if there boiler was there before then you have always had this coming over the only difference is it now visible as its at a lower temp.

What would be wrong with some gentle reassurance? OP would possibly become less anxious, which would be....OK?
What is achieved by venting spleen at someone with lesser knowledge?
Cannot ask for a better example of what is sometimes wrong with forums.

Love the forum, generally.
But, it seems to bounce people into another state of mind, like being in cars= road rage etc, or being drunk.
Dis-inhibition bringing out angry (powerless?) people getting kicks being harsh.

I would expect it is a single female who lives without male friendship or support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back