Neighbour's extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before we start, I don't want any responses regarding my legal rights, because my neighbour's house was built before mine was built. My neighbour has no obligation to rectify.
So - the smells from their culinary activities are spoiling the enjoyment of sitting in our courtyard garden, especially when they decide to concoct their latest curry recipe, which may be several times a week! I have a good relationship with my neighbour, and want to avoid any agro. Also I'm quite willing to foot the bill for any solution to the problem (within reason!)
Judging from the attached photo, can anyone suggest an addition to the ducting system which would direct the cooking smells upward and away from my property thus minimising the odours?

Attachments

• 20230514_193419.jpg
    20230514_193419.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
I can’t really help, but some dimensions might help with answers.
I know that cooking smells can be brought up in commercial planning but every neighbour could have a BBQ etc.
possibly a chimney to get the output higher than the roof edge might help?

A cowl instead of the current vent cover might direct the air in a more downward direction instead of over your boundary wall but I doubt your neighbour would agree ( I would not ) to having external ducting fitted to carry it further away.

Well, jj4091. I hope, when I approach my neighbours they will prove a little friendlier and more flexible than you are!
Why should you object to a bit of ducting on the side passage-way wall of your house, invisible from the front or the back of the house? Beats me!

Sponsored Links
Well, jj4091. I hope, when I approach my neighbours they will prove a little friendlier and more flexible than you are!
Why should you object to a bit of ducting on the side passage-way wall of your house, invisible from the front or the back of the house? Beats me!
I wouldn't be happy either. It would look terrible. Maybe you should be a bit more flexible with your nasal sensitivities.

Not being unfriendly, just stating a fact. You appear to be the one who expects neighbours to go out of their way for you. Try a For Sale board instead.

And I would agree to install ducting to keep good neighbourly relations. Fortunately, it takes all kinds to make a world and a conversation about it costs nothing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back