Neighbours flue on party boundary - headache for our extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We are looking to purchase a Victorian terraced house, with the intention of extended on the ground floor as all the neighbours have done.

However, I've flicked through the photos from the viewing and have spotted a potential problem. The flue on the neighbouring extension is located exactly where we would build out our extension. See photo below.

full

The neighbour did not build right up to the boundary line (red vertical line in photo), instead it looks like they've kept to their side by approximately 100mm. Flue may creep across the boundary because of the elbow...

From my basic google searching, a flue orientated in this manner should be 600mm from the boundary line. But this looks to have been built before these regulations came into play.

We love the house, and do not want to start our ownership with a dispute. Could we have some advice on our potential options / approaches we can take? Both now, and if we were to extend.

At present, surveys have not been conducted (valuation or building), which I'm sure would pick this up. Also, I cannot see the neighbours extension on any planning portal, likely done under permitted development like others on the street.

Thanks in advance!

SM

Sponsored Links
Build what you like on your side of the boundary.

If need be (and its not clear that anything needs to be done with it) either they can deal with their flue themselves, or you can off to pay for its relocation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back