neighbours noisy plumbing

So, to be clear, you're guessing what she's thinking and feeling, and then you're reacting to your guesses.

If she's refusing to acknowledge, and refusing to engage, then that doesn't sound like she's relaxed and not bothered, it sounds like she's more likely to be one or more of scared, overwhelmed, angry, frozen etc...
...but those are also just guesses

My suggestion is that it is in your best interest to try to assume goodwill on her part, and work from there - even if that's not the case, it could help it become the case...
I absolutely did assume goodwill when i first mentioned it to her. (i cannot say more as i feel that i would be judged for a comment that is not pc...all i will say is that she has always looked very hostile...she has never said hello to anybody and she only mixes with her counterparts.....more than this i cannot state. i do not assume for a moment that she is worried or overwhelmed.....i will say with all certainty that she does not care, the noise is not affecting her and her only `worry` in all of this is not how this may be affecting me but how much she can get away with regarding EH. I have actually never come across anybody like her - I dont know one person who would not be `apologetic, want to listen to it - want to find a solution. Indeed, for arguments sake, if EH say there is nothing they can do.....she will happily continue to just run those taps all day. In my second note i did say that i cannot live with this noise and would have to consider moving.
If she was just worried, afraid, ddint want to face me, etc.. and all those things, there is nothing to stop her just dropping a line saying i am sorry this is affecting you so badly....i am looking into what the problem might be....
i feel that having lived next door to her for 4 years my assumptions are correct.
I have only spoken to her once....she had lived here about a year without even acknowledging a hello even...just a hostile look and a blank....she knocked at my door bringing a man with her......she then stood there with a hostile look whilst this man....a workman spoke to me about my fallen garden fence (that had come down in winds)......he then quoted me a price to put a new fence up....i apologised to her and she didnt make any comment (i find her very strange and alien).....

Sponsored Links
And perhaps the best one for your own mental health as I see lots of assumtions being made in your posts.
can you tell me what thos assumptions might be. 3 years of a noise that is jsut incredible pouring into my home...the home owner completely unwilling to acknowledge the problem that has pushed me to the point of needing to move. me asking if there is any legal or EH address that might help me in all of this as the home owner will do nothing.....
i would question my mental health if this noise was not affecting me in my own home. it is unacceptable.

As you've discussed this issue with others, have you asked them to listen to the noise in your home?
If so, and they agree it is unusual and/or unacceptable, see if they'd support your concerns to EH.
A couple of witnesses to the problem would work well in your favour.

Yes, friends and family have heard this noise and are astounded by it......I dont know what EH intend doing. I feel certain they have written to her but I do not know what happens after this. Ideally i would like EH to come in and listen to it. To ask her to run her taps.....all of them in her house one by one to ascertain the exact cause of the noise - but i think it is running her taps per se that causes the noise. My worry really is that EH, even if they feel this is an unacceptable noise to live with will be unable to do anything...
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, friends and family have heard this noise and are astounded by it......I dont know what EH intend doing. I feel certain they have written to her but I do not know what happens after this. Ideally i would like EH to come in and listen to it. To ask her to run her taps.....all of them in her house one by one to ascertain the exact cause of the noise - but i think it is running her taps per se that causes the noise. My worry really is that EH, even if they feel this is an unacceptable noise to live with will be unable to do anything...
many thanks
I think you need to calm down and stop looking for your acceptable solutions.
Concentrate on the nuisance it's causing you.
As I suggested, record some examples of the nuisance, keep an approximate diary in order to show EH the extent of the problem, ask your friends and neighbours for a short, written statement about your problem, and seek the assistance of EH.
Don't try to resolve the issue yourself with counter measures, nor tell EH what your neighbour should do, etc. That will just muddy the water.
You need to calmly follow the process with EH

I think you need to calm down and stop looking for your acceptable solutions.
Concentrate on the nuisance it's causing you.
As I suggested, record some examples of the nuisance, keep an approximate diary in order to show EH the extent of the problem, ask your friends and neighbours for a short, written statement about your problem, and seek the assistance of EH.
Don't try to resolve the issue yourself with counter measures, nor tell EH what your neighbour should do, etc. That will just muddy the water.
You need to calmly follow the process with EH
Many thanks indeed. You are right. Much appreciated.

A few years back a man living next door to mum had a problem with the noise coming from the plumbing in my mums flat. it was constant and driving him mad he said. I drove to my mums to see if I could find the cause of this noise. I couldn't find anything wrong or hear any noise until the bloke next door used his plumbing. It was his stopcock that was causing the noise.

My first port of call would be to knock on her door and actually talk to her. She's not responded to your notes, so just go and talk to her.

Why people don't just talk to people when there is a problem, i do not know. People tend to be more reasonable when they speak face to face.

My first port of call would be to knock on her door and actually talk to her. She's not responded to your notes, so just go and talk to her.

Why people don't just talk to people when there is a problem, i do not know. People tend to be more reasonable when they speak face to face.
This is true. I first approached her with a note during covid when it was full on lockdown and gave her my phone number.......i have since sent two more notes and i did knock at her door....she was clearly home as she works from home..she has a ring doorbell and i guess she decided she didnt want to talk to me.....she clearly has no manners whatsoever...
now that EH are involved and i have told them that she will not respond i shall not knock at her door and let this EH process unfold. i am jsut worried they will say they cannot do anything...then i have no option than to move......

This is true. I first approached her with a note during covid when it was full on lockdown and gave her my phone number.......i have since sent two more notes and i did knock at her door....she was clearly home as she works from home..she has a ring doorbell and i guess she decided she didnt want to talk to me.....she clearly has no manners whatsoever...
now that EH are involved and i have told them that she will not respond i shall not knock at her door and let this EH process unfold. i am jsut worried they will say they cannot do anything...then i have no option than to move......
Then go back and knock on her door again until she answers and you can speak to her. If you can't communicate with her, nothing is ever going to happen.

Sorry, I've nothing constructive to help... but I've got one of those long keys for turning the water off in the street,
I'll lend it to you, use it just before you go to bed ;)

Good luck sorting.
Bliss !!

I would like to gently point out that you're making a number of assumptions, based on her lack of response to communication with you, and based on the differences between the two of you in your ethnicities or racial identities or sexualities or cultures or whatever it is.
You're assuming she's hostile, you're assuming she's happy with the situation, and you're assuming she doesn't care.

If you pause and think about those assumptions, you can see how they don't hang together.

I do still hold out hope that you can sort this out together, and I wish you both well.

The other thing to consider is your home insurance. If you have legal cover, you may wish to call them as they may be able to take the matter up through legal channels if you can prove your neighbour is causing you a nuisance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back