Neighbours objection letter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a planning application for a new build, once the drawing is submitted, do the planners get it passed then send out letters to neighbours for objection or do they send the letters out whether the planning will pass or not?

Sponsored Links
The latter - the idea being that the neighbours might bring things to their attention that might cause it to fail.

I'm putting in a planning application for a new build, once the drawing is submitted, do the planners get it passed then send out letters to neighbours for objection or do they send the letters out whether the planning will pass or not?

The planners essentially advertise for as many objections as possible by writing to neighbours and leaving public notices up, early enough into the process that they can consider the views presented. Some of them will have no basis in planning policy, others will - everything will be taken on board though they cannot refuse something just because a neighbour objected to something that has no base in policy. A sufficient number of objections for any reason can cause the application to be forwarded to the planning committee (busload of old ladies in political party seats for the local council) which can be a double edged sword - they may be more prone to making emotive rather than policy based decisions.
Decisions from either kind of maker can be appealed. A policy-compliant development is more likely to win at appeal against a committee decision; as noted, planners decide more for reasons of policy, so appealing their decision if a refusal is based on policy is less likely to succeed because the decision methods taken by planners and appeal inspectors run along the same lines

My 3 rural neighbours really welcomed me dropping off a set of plans with them and a phone number to call so they could talk through their concerns. Two called me to tell me to crack on and the closest ones talked about allsorts for an hour, came on site, climbed ladders, looked out of windows, checked their privacy was being respected etc. We made some plan changes to give them peace of mind and they wrote a letter in support of the application

Jaw jaw, not war war..

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, do I get to see the objection letters, is it still 21 days period?

The next door neighbour is a well known born complainer :rolleyes:

All letters will get published online. Or should. Sometimes, it can help to get people to write in in support! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back