Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks - My neighbour had a roofer over who I believe has done the following:

- Replaced all roof tiles
- Replaced guttering front / back
- New insulation
- Replaced roof tiles on ground floor extension

As part of doing this work, the roofer had done the following:

- Attached our front gutters together, previously ours would sit on top of theirs
- Replaced a number of tiles on my ground floor rear extension
- Pulled my ground floor rear gutter away from the fascia board

Reattaching the ground floor rear gutter back to the fascia board seems easy enough but i'm a little concerned with the following:

- Tiles have been replaced and now no longer sit flush
- The use of what I think is concrete to fill in / replace what ever was there previously

I am told their roofer is coming over tomorrow to review. How do I ensure the above is repaired correctly?

Would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20240218_103521120.jpg
    PXL_20240218_103521120.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20240218_103523010.jpg
    PXL_20240218_103523010.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 139
  • PXL_20240218_103524914.jpg
    PXL_20240218_103524914.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 131
  • PXL_20240218_103747126.jpg
    PXL_20240218_103747126.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20240218_103748945.jpg
    PXL_20240218_103748945.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20240218_104505907.jpg
    PXL_20240218_104505907.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20240218_105418429.jpg
    PXL_20240218_105418429.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20240218_165456380.jpg
    PXL_20240218_165456380.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
Hi Folks - My neighbour had a roofer over who I believe has done the following:

- Replaced all roof tiles
- Replaced guttering front / back
- New insulation
- Replaced roof tiles on ground floor extension

As part of doing this work, the roofer had done the following:

- Attached our front gutters together, previously ours would sit on top of theirs
- Replaced a number of tiles on my ground floor rear extension
- Pulled my ground floor rear gutter away from the fascia board

Reattaching the ground floor rear gutter back to the fascia board seems easy enough but i'm a little concerned with the following:

- Tiles have been replaced and now no longer sit flush
- The use of what I think is concrete to fill in / replace what ever was there previously

I am told their roofer is coming over tomorrow to review. How do I ensure the above is repaired correctly?

Would appreciate any advice.
Bodge. Yeehar!

My neighbour had a roofer over who I believe has done the following
Would appreciate any advice

The work hasn’t been done by a roofer

Ask your neighbour how he found the “roofer” my guess is checkatrade or similar online

Because there are different tiles, there needs to be a bonding gutter where they join + that needs cutting back tile battens so the tiles sit down straight.

The mortar at the top is a complete waste of time and needs removing, lead flashing is what is needed, nothing else.

It’s a shame your neighbour didn’t just have the clay tiles replaced

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback folks. Waiting for the roofer to turn and will then update you all here.

I'll ask the roofer to take photos of the main roof too, if this is what they've done with what we can see, I'm a little concerned about the areas we can't e.g. the chimney stack.

I'll ask the roofer to take photos of the main roof too, if this is what they've done with what we can see, I'm a little concerned about the areas we can't e.g. the chimney stack.

I wonder what your neighbour thinks about the work they have had done? Looking at the lead work, they would seem to have just plastered cement over the upper edge, rather than doing it properly - in which case, it will not last.

Is the Red Tiles your roof?

If they are then your roof is on the way out, sorry!

Is the Red Tiles your roof?

If they are then your roof is on the way out, sorry!
Yep the red roof is mine. And yes well aware that it needs replacing. We moved into this place last Feb so it's on the long list of things to do but for now, it's not (it wasn't...) causing any issues

I wonder what your neighbour thinks about the work they have had done? Looking at the lead work, they would seem to have just plastered cement over the upper edge, rather than doing it properly - in which case, it will not last.
What would the correct thing to use be, assuming some type of lead mastic / silicone?

What would the correct thing to use be, assuming some type of lead mastic / silicone?

The upper edge of the lead, should have been set into the mortar, between the row of brick, then the mortar pointed with mastic. It seems as if what they have done, is simply reuse the previous lead work, but daubed cement over it, to cover over the fact the lead was now too short.

They surely arrived on horses.
I'm not a roofer and I can definitely do better.

Roofer has come and gone.

They've done the following:

- Replaced the cast iron gutter they broke at the rear ground with PVC
- Applied silicone to the joint that was leaking at the top, front of the house

They said they can't use a bonding gutter as the two ground floor roofs aren't level with one another. Is this true?

My neighbour has said someone from the council is coming over to inspect the work so we'll see how this goes.

Other than keeping an eye on things on things the next few times it rains, is there anything else I should / could be doing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back