Neighbours surface water drainage very close to boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Neighbours had a lot of building work done a year ago, and now are having their drive relayed (Different firm).

I had a look with them today as the surface water drainage pipe seems very close to the boundary wall foundation, and runs underneath the support pillar in one place. The gullys are directly above the pipe. (The trench is deep as they are having the pitch fibre foul pipe replaced)

Is this compliant? Can it be so close to the boundary wall foundation? I am not sure if there is a 45degree rule for load under a foundation.

If there is a time to fix it, it's now before everything gets paved.

The reason for concern is we intend to extend to this boundary in due course, and don't want it becoming a problem then. And also if the boundary wall falls over (It already leans), a new footing would seem likely to be bigger, and then it would be in the way.

Pipe is 260mm deep to its top.

IMG_7362 copy.jpg IMG_7370 copy.jpg IMG_7371 copy.jpg IMG_7373 copy.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it's on the neighbours side of the boundary then it's their problem. 300mm from any structure rings bells, yes 45 degree foundation loading applies, no wonder the wall is leaning. Have they got building control involved- think that sort of work is notifiable, if it's a shared run on the foul then your local water board might be interested.
Take some pics and measurements when they put the new foul pipe in, when you plan your new extension dig the footings so trench bottom is level with (or below) pipe invert.

If it's on the neighbours side of the boundary then it's their problem. 300mm from any structure rings bells, yes 45 degree foundation loading applies, no wonder the wall is leaning. Have they got building control involved- think that sort of work is notifiable, if it's a shared run on the foul then your local water board might be interested.
Take some pics and measurements when they put the new foul pipe in, when you plan your new extension dig the footings so trench bottom is level with (or below) pipe invert.

I guess it's their problem until I dig foundations to the boundary and they appear (through the sand), and end up paying to concrete them in as instructed by BC.

As the boundary wall will fall over eventually , I agreed to rebuild it as part of our extension.... but if the old pipe presumably ran the same way, I may be able to ask that it is moved, and then I will rebuild the wall (so it would have proper footings).

The foul is their own, and we have our own. This is their exclusive surface water as well. BC inspected works, but this was dug and recovered within a day, also it wouldn't be worth the hassle of causing a dispute when our extension will require access to their land.... and we like to get on with neighbours!

Their foul is 800mm deep, and about 500mm from the boundary. Hopefully I don't need to dig foundations that deep, others here have only had to go 250mm! I'll need to check the 45 degree rule I suppose.....

Your reply is much appreciated!

Good plan to get the surface drain moved so it's not under the wall. 250mm founds- where is this, 1920? 700 is standard up here :)

Sponsored Links
Good plan to get the surface drain moved so it's not under the wall. 250mm founds- where is this, 1920? 700 is standard up here :)

The landscaper next door has agreed to relocate the pipe run and add necessary bends. For a mere £100, so I'm happy with that.

Houses are 1950's, onto sand.... the area was sand dunes previously. Those who have extended have been told to stick to the depth of the original house... they don't seem to have moved in 70 years :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back