Neon circuit testers,Hairyjon asks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that you proffesional folks have an intense dislike of neon circuit testers. Why? If I buy a meter what should I look for in the was of BS. rating? :confused: Hairyjon

Sponsored Links
Ask for a meter compatible with GS38 standard.

That is the requirement from the Health & Safety Executive.

You can also buy the standard from the HSE as they wrote it (it's not free).

Electrical test equipment for use by electricians GS38(rev) HSE Books 1995. ISBN 0 7176 0845 X

Thanks Swindonspark. What does IEC1010 600V CAT11 rated mean? Does this relate to GS38? I've just recieved my latest cpc flyer-one there at £15.53 + the dreaded! :confused: Hairyjon

As for Neon screwdrivers............Would you consider it safe to use you body as a conductor when measuring the potential of a circuit.
And yes I know some is going to say "its got a high value resistor inside", but how much do YOU trust electronics.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
As for Neon screwdrivers............Would you consider it safe to use you body as a conductor when measuring the potential of a circuit.
And yes I know some is going to say "its got a high value resistor inside", but how much do YOU trust electronics.
Hi Qedelec,sorry for delay. Point taken. I deal with electronics all day, every day! Low voltage stuff mind, but I am ESD protected.......:cool: Hairyjon

yep you should be as carefull with antistatic wrist straps as with neon screwdrivers.

swelec said:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=A&start=0

before any more posts please read this

it is informative and (at times ) very entertaining
Thanks Swelec for your link. It would have taken me a year of Sundays to find! Very entertaining and informative :D From tje I have deciced the following:

1) Keep the neon tester as there is no doubt they have saved lives!
2) Keep 2 of them in case of stray puddles!
3) Replace them every year in case case of deterioration of resistor/neon/insulation faults.
4) Make sure the the main switch in the CU is off position before starting work (as always).
5) Check out the website for Christmas Island!
6) Post a question about central heating radiators that don't have a 'thumping great copper pipe for earth bonding/equipotential bonding as most of them have been done with hep2o polypipe but also have copper pipe to both side of rads! Also a question about steel/wood construction floor joists with all the electric cables running through them and no apparent earth/equipotential bonding!!!!!
In the light of this a visit to Christmas Island may be more a necessity than holiday! :D :D Hairyjon

plugwash said:
yep you should be as carefull with antistatic wrist straps as with neon screwdrivers.
I test all wrist straps before work starts every morning. Thanks for the thought Plugwash. :D Hairyjon

Good link swelec - like many before me have said - Bin the Neon!

The reasons have been well covered in the above link!

swelec said:
glad to help :oops: :oops:
Thanks Swelec, but did you have any comments on my remark regarding 'the lack of bonding of any nature on the items mentioned in my previous? :confused: Hairyjon

PompeySparks said:
Good link swelec - like many before me have said - Bin the Neon!

The reasons have been well covered in the above link!

whilst i dont recommend neons much, and would rather test using a contact tester, what happens if both neutral and earth are dead for some reason. neon doesnt require them to show a voltage, but a tester does and this can be fatal

Fair point Andy but I just don't like my body 'completing the circuit'. I use my voltage indicator almost every day (Fluke T100) so there is a fair possibility that a faulty neon would eventually catch me out over the years (even just a slight belt wouldn't be very nice!). For the DIY'er, the neon shows a much better attitude than not checking at all

On a older type double pole fused instalation, in the event of the neutral fuse blowing, at least a neon can pick up the voltage present, whilst the contact tester won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back