Neon indicator pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change an ordinary pull switch that turns the fan on and off in the bathroom to one with a neon indicator light to help avoid leaving the fan on. The original switch has the two black cables joined together in a separate 'chocolate block' connector and each of the two reds go into either end of the switch. There is no earth facility on the switch and they are just together in an earth sleve.

I was told the new switch was over the top for what I want (he said four pole?) but it would do the job. It has four possible connections marked L1-L4 and an earth. Just using the two reds I can have the fan working- no neon, the neon working - no fan, the neon permanently on and nothing else so help is required please. The answer must be in the two black wires but I do not have the confidence to try - any suggestions gratefully received - thanks.

Sponsored Links
neons need to have one side to neutral..

the 2 black wires in a connector need to go into one of the poles on the switch.
need a picture of the switch ( or a part number ) so we can see what it is you're working with..

if it is 4 pole then you'd have 8 terminals..
so it's a DP switch..
one pole for the lives, one for the neutrals.
neon on the output side connected between the live and neutral

If it gets left on when there is the (slight )noise from the fan then you are going to have to train everyone to look up on leaving the room.

or alternatively, change it for one that comes on with the light and has an overun timer..
or for one with a PIR that comes on when you walk in.
or if it's more for the shower than the smell, there's always ones with humidity stats..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help so far. Not sure how to put a picture up - sorry. It has on the back DP CrabtreeEngland (might be a 2163) - four input connections - neon is wired between L1 and L4. Bought it at CEF. Hope this helps. Thanks

you can learn how to add photo's here, just scroll through the pictures with the green arrows at the top..

yeah looks simple enough.. the blacks go in the other 2 holes.. ( how the neon ever lit is a mystery to me.. )

red out and black out ( same cable ) should go in the holes that the neon are in..

Many thanks ColJack. Fan and neon are now working together in perfect harmony!

If it gets left on when there is the (slight )noise from the fan then you are going to have to train everyone to look up on leaving the room.
I was going to ask - what make is the fan?

Be nice to know of one that's so quiet you don't know that it's on....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back