Neon Screwdriver - They're ok and fine to use.......

Sponsored Links
Don't the tip insulators come off his two probe tester so he can get them in small places?
They do on my Fluke.

Best reason for buying something - "You can pick them up anywhere".

There did seem to be counter arguments to most of what he said, but hey-ho, he likes them.

P.S. The one he calls the five pound ones are quite useful for continuity tests but they are not neon screwdrivers.

Can't believe I watched nearly all of that.

So with the one that measures continuity, what happens if you put it on a live circuit AND press the button on the top? I would assume it open circuits the button once it detects voltage, but for £5 I'm not convinced

""Any test is better than none""

Not if the result of that test is false. A neon driver can be put on a Live terminal and NOT light up in some situations.

Sponsored Links
No, how they work. Their (method of) working.

Edit - I thought Echo meant me.

If eveares, not half as bad as some of the thing what he writes.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

:rolleyes::mad::( And why exactly is grammar and punctuation so important on here???
I must say that I had expected/hoped that recent changes would mean that we would see less criticism of such matters.

For what it's worth, my view is that what is crucially important is the effectiveness and accuracy of communication. If everyone concerned knows what is meant, that's what matters. Electricians constantly talk about undertaking 'continuity tests' when, in fact, they are talking about quantitative measurement of resistance. However, we know what they mean (and that they are not going to undertake a true continuity test, and report the result as 'Yes'!), so it doesn't matter too much.

Discussions in internet forums has often been likened to what goes on in pubs. However, in many pubs, it would be a brave (wo)man who would criticise the grammar of participants in discussions, particular as the night drew on :)

Kind Regards, John

I did write a longer reply which turned out to be somewhat rude which is why I posted the above.

However, it's not quite like a chat in the pub because there are no accents nor colloquialisms in the written word.
It is either correct or not.

Eveares, if I may - whenever I read your use of 'what' (instead of that or which) it reminds me of Ernie Wise.
I don't know if you remember him and it's not a bad thing but it always makes me chuckle inside. You may as well write "wot".

Shall we just say it gives an impression?

He tries to appear intelligent with his posts and then spoils it with his poor grammar.
Anyhow , surely using a mains tester screwdriver is better than no testing at all?

However, it's not quite like a chat in the pub because there are no accents nor colloquialisms in the written word. It is either correct or not.
If there are no colloquialisms in the written word, someone must have forgotten to tell my daughters (and many/most of their generation!) - although you might describe them as 'just incorrect'!

In the context of this thread, one irony is that in a pub (or any verbal communication) there would be no discernible difference between "their" and "they're" (or "there")! However, the point about the pub analogy is that both are very informal/'casual' forms of communication/interaction - and, although one is verbal and the other is written, a good few people write (casually/informally) what they would say in verbal communication. It's also the case that people vary their 'style' according to the situation. Returning the my daughters, both have serious professional roles (one is a barrister) and one assumes that they write professionally is as grammatical correct as they can manage. However, what they write in 'informal e-mails' (not to mention text messages and 'social media'!) doesn't bear looking at for an old fogie like myself!

... and nor is it necessarily a question of ignorance. I rather doubt that I'm the only person whose typing fingers sometimes go into a "phonetic autopilot" mode, and type the wrong one of there/their/they're (or "its"/"it's" etc.), even though I know which should be used, am I?

... your use of 'what' (instead of that or which) it reminds me of Ernie Wise.
"Like" (which does sometimes get into written material) is far worse one amongst the younger generations! Also, as from 'ignorance', most of us are far from omniscient when it comes to grammar - had you talking about using "that" instead of "which", or vice versa, I would be the first to admit that I haven't a clue as to which is 'correct' in which situation!

Whatever, as I implied, I hope that we are not going to see too much of these discussions in the future. If there is a lack of clarity, then we should ask for clarification, but if it is clear what is meant, I'm happy.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back