Neon secondary leads - joining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Artwork with a neon sign.
Transformer has failed ( I presume) as sign does not light.

This transformer is a sealed unit, the secondary leads go directly into the glass tubes.

I don't know how to connect them up to the tube, so I thought about cutting the transformer secondaries and connecting a new transformer.
However I am a bit concerned about how to connect the secondary leads together, and if is even advisable to do so. The output is 990v/40mA
Butt crimps it seems are rated at 415 v.
Any thoughts.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In terms of current carrying and mechanical strength crimps are adequate provided they are the correct size for the wire.

Voltage wise they are likely to be OK provided the creep distances for 1000 volts are maintained by keeping the crimps far enough apart. From memory creep distance for 230 volt is 6 mm though on some PCB it is 3 mm.

So at 1000 volts an enforced separation of at least 24 mm of non conductive material between the crimps should be OK if there is no risk of damp.

Creeep distance is the shortest path from conductor to conductor in air along the surface of the insulation between conductors. Sometimes the creep distance will be mentioned on the installation notes for guidance when installing the cable. If it is no mention then the distance between the EHT leads as they leave the transformer can be considered as the minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back