Nerd chainsaw job of the week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two bolts hold the chain bar onto the side of most chainsaws. The bar is secured by flanged nuts, and the chain tension is adjusted by some sort of sliding mechanism that pulls the chain tight.
Don't over tighten or strip the threads on the bar bolts!! If you do, you'll often have to strip the entire machine and split the crankcases :eek: to replace them...they pass through the crankcase and are held by means of their heads being square. Some of them actually reside within the chain oil tank.
Try to show a profit on that job.....hell, its only a stripped thread, after all.
John :D

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a post born of bitter experience. :(
I've got one in the workshop now sitting waiting for me to repair or rather replace the snapped adjusting bolt :cry:

The adjusting screw can be replaced with the chain bar off and any guide cheeks taken off too, so that shouldn't be too bad!
I reckon to replace my chain bar stud (next time) I'm going to knock it back into the oil tank, then fish it out. I'll try and get the new one in by somehow tying some thin wire to the thread and see if I can pull it into place. They are shouldered, so the thread is a slightly smaller diameter than the shoulder. Worth a try - saves a complete stripdown plus a gasket set.
John :)

The adjusting screw can be replaced with the chain bar off and any guide cheeks taken off too, so that shouldn't be too bad!
I reckon to replace my chain bar stud (next time) I'm going to knock it back into the oil tank, then fish it out. I'll try and get the new one in by somehow tying some thin wire to the thread and see if I can pull it into place. They are shouldered, so the thread is a slightly smaller diameter than the shoulder. Worth a try - saves a complete stripdown plus a gasket set.
That would be like trying to pick a lock on a windy night with a piece of wet string, good luck! :p

Sponsored Links
You are so right :p The end of these bolts have a square flange that sits into a square housing (surprisingly enough) so it would also be necessary to get these to locate.
Its such a chore - a complete stripdown for one stripped bolt......the punter doesn't like to pay either. Nowt new there then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back