Nest - Away Mode, heating still comes on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Google Nest 3rd gen, bought 2022.

The Away Mode is driving me mad.

I turn the Away Mode on when I go away (which supposedly puts the heating to 'Eco' 10.5 degree mode). But then checking the history in the app, I can see that my heating has still been coming on according to my usual schedule. Sometimes it is off for a few days (as it should be), but then randomly starts coming on again even though nothing has changed!

Any ideas?

Why the Away mode can't simply just turn off the heating and hot water until you tell it otherwise is beyond me.

Sponsored Links
Could it be being triggered by someone or something so that it thinks you're home. Is someone coming it to check on things? Or the cat coming in and out?

House is empty, so I don't think so. I've turned off the Away assist to see if that helps.

The other annoyance is that the manual away mode doesn't seem to do anything - you still have to also set the heating to Eco mode, and turn off the hot water separately... so what is the point of the Away mode button?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back