Nest + Danfoss - Compatible? How to install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Complete newbie here - I have never touched anything close to plumbing/electricals, so please arm yourselves with a lot of patience.

We live in a rented house and would like to install a Nest to replace the current setup.
The reason I would like to do this myself instead of calling a professional is because I want to be able to 'undo' all of the work when/if we decide to move to another place.

Can you please help with:

a) identifying if Nest will work with our setup? (their compatibility checker said 'no' straight away, but I am hoping that's not true)
b) how would we wire the cables in picture 3 to the Nest?
c) can we leave alone the British Gas thermostat or do we need to mess about with it?

Many thanks!

This is the control panel that 'lives' right underneath the main boiler.

20171129_215721.jpg

The panel's back:

20171129_205851.jpg

The wires:

20171129_205828.jpg

This is the boiler:

20171129_212408.jpg

A couple of metres away (in the next room) there is also one of these, that we have never used:

20171129_215645.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not qualified to give you advice beyond having been through it myself this week, but the first thing you need to do is identify the type of central heating system you have so you can determine the wiring you will need. In the back of the nest booklet it has wiring diagrams for each type of installation. For example, my system is S plan.

Thanks.

Is there any other place where I can find the types there are (other than the booklet)?
I haven't actually bought the Nest yet - I wanted to make sure it would work before I ordered it...

Thanks.

Is there any other place where I can find the types there are (other than the booklet)?
I haven't actually bought the Nest yet - I wanted to make sure it would work before I ordered it...

Despite having installed the Nest only yesterday, I've misplaced the booklet o_O

From memory, theres gravity fed, Y plan, S plan, combi boiler, some other type of combi boiler and maybe one other.

I'll update this if I can find the guide. It cant be far away.

Sponsored Links
30 seconds later. It had fallen down the back of my desk.

Right. In the Nest manual the wiring diagrams are for: 230v combi boiler, Low voltage/dry contact combi boiler, S plan, Y plan, Opentherm boiler and District heating with electrical control valve.

S plan has two motorized valves, one each for heating and hot water. Y plan has a single 3 position motorised valve I believe.

Please remember, I'm at the same level as you here, so this isn't "advice".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back