Nest installed but installer left my old thermostat how can I remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mainly as the title states, the Nest installer put my Nest in but left the old thermostat still connected, he told my wife that it should be left set to 30, how can I remove it?

Just incase its important we have an oil boiler with a water tank and radiators. The old thermostat is a drayton.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's an odd way of doing it; did he seem like a muppet? I'd have removed the existing stat and used the wires in it to power your Nest, which would have gone in its place. Has he just plugged it into a wall socket?

Yes he plugged it into a socket, he was a nest installer I bought it with installation through the nest website. I didnt meet him I was at work. I just want to remove the old thermostat as the nest is in our living room in a stand.

Ah, the old "buying a supply and fit package on the website" trick. You'd be amazed how many of those kinds of installations I've been called in to correct...unfortunately the national installer they use doesn't seem to be very competent (on one occasion, they managed to cause a small flood in a property by disconnecting a condensate pump whilst wiring in the Nest).

If you want to remove the old thermostat you'll need to turn off your power supply to the heating, open up the wiring centre, identify which wires supply the thermostat and remove them, connect the old programmer that he's also presumably left in place and told you to leave set to "constantly on" to the terminal where the old stat switch live was, then put the cover back on. Your stat should now be dead, but it's worth doing a check with a multimeter to be sure. If it is dead, you can remove it. If it isn't, more electrical tests will be required to discover why

Sponsored Links
He actually took the programmer out, I only have the thermostat left.

Well that's a start I suppose. Either way, you need to find where the thermostat is supplied from, turn the power off, link out the two terminals at the supply end, then power on again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back