Nest not turning on CH but does HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day to you all I’m hoping someone can help me here.
My girlfriend had a new boiler installed a while back now and they never fitted a thermostat but all the radiators have thermostatic valves on them. I have installed Nest heating and followed a guide from on here and apart from a couple of the wires being an odd colour I followed the instructions and I thought all was working ok the hot water came on fine when called for but it turns out the CH was not coming on.
I have rechecked my wiring and I hear the click from the nest controls but the 3 way diverter valve does not move and the pump does not run.
It is a green star Ri erp +
It was controlled with a Drayton control panel on the outside of the airing cupboard with the hot water tank inside the airing cupboard along with the 3 way diverter valve and pump
The wiring I feel is a complete mess.
I’m wondering if the 3 way diverter valve has become faulty because if I put CH and HW on it heats the bathroom and toilet and the downstairs radiators but not upstairs.
96BC51C9-0E24-4F2B-96A8-79D5393D6F49.jpeg
9652C61F-4849-44D7-8541-169999A9A665.png
image.jpg
868AE926-0ACE-4BEB-A31A-A732B77EA119.jpeg

Attachments

• 438CEF68-AF2F-4C20-A036-F242C37F6279.jpeg
    438CEF68-AF2F-4C20-A036-F242C37F6279.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Looking at the photo of the Drayton the Earth wire isn’t an Earth wire, it appears to be the hot water on, and should be sleeved brown to show it’s a live wire. You don’t mention the hot water off in the Nest heatlink which was terminal 1 in the Drayton. Also refrain from calling it a Diverter valve, it’s a 3 port mid position valve.

Looking at the photo of the Drayton the Earth wire isn’t an Earth wire, it appears to be the hot water on, and should be sleeved brown to show it’s a live wire. You don’t mention the hot water off in the Nest heatlink which was terminal 1 in the Drayton. Also refrain from calling it a Diverter valve, it’s a 3 port mid position valve.
Hi sorry yes I assumed the earth wire was the call for hot water so wired it accordingly, not up with terminology of the valves.
There was no mention of wiring the hot water off to be wired to the heat link ? Should this be connected and if so where on the heat link should it be connected to thank you.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi sorry yes I assumed the earth wire was the call for hot water so wired it accordingly
Easy to assume, but if you ever do any others, never assume anything as colours don’t mean anything in a heating system. As for the hot water it’s terminal 4 on the nest (satisfied). Don’t worry about the terminology, it just helps others ;)

Have you traced the wires for the rts1? If not just turn the thermostat up to max for now.

Sponsored Links
Easy to assume, but if you ever do any others, never assume anything as colours don’t mean anything in a heating system. As for the hot water it’s terminal 4 on the nest (satisfied). Don’t worry about the terminology, it just helps others ;)

Have you traced the wires for the rts1? If not just turn the thermostat up to max for now.
Hi there is no thermostate installed which I find totally crazy and why I chose nest because of the current prices the heating would just keep blasting and only had the radiator thermostats to keep the temperature.
Other websites are talking about a Y plan wiring, could this be what I need to use because the hot water is working absolutely fine and I’m questioning why I have a hot water satisfied connected on the Drayton wiring and not for the central heating.

Yes you have a Y plan (3 port mid position valve) that I mentioned earlier. Apologies, you did say no thermostat at the beginning, but it’s on one of the photos.

Yes you have a Y plan (3 port mid position valve) that I mentioned earlier. Apologies, you did say no thermostat at the beginning, but it’s on one of the photos.
Sorry yes that’s from the post I got the information from but ignored that part as we don’t have a thermostate.
So should I connect to HW satisfied/OFF to the HW off satisfied on the nest.

Yes. Then report back if it works please.
Well blow me down, your a lifesaver and it’s now working just need to retest the central heating again after trying it then trying hot water. So I know the 3 way valve is working ok. Thank you again

• Thanks
Well blow me down, your a lifesaver and it’s now working just need to retest the central heating again after trying it then trying hot water. So I know the 3 way valve is working ok. Thank you again
No problem. As I said either buy some brown sleeving or use some brown insulation tape to show anyone in future that the green/yellow wire (mainly used as an Earth/cpc wire) is being used as a live wire.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back