Nest Thermostat on Dual Zone replacing Danfoss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys I'm sure this topic has been done to death in here.

I currently have one nest thermostat and i have another on the way

In the meantime i've been quoted £175 to get both Zones setup by a Nest Pro, with that in mind I decided to take a look at it myself before commiting

The boiler is a Potterton Promax Combi HE Plus

Having read mulitple posts from others with similar setups i've managed to setup the first Heatlink by replacing the programmer, this was straight forward, and with the current setup i can run the house as a simple single zone setup by moving the two Brown (Ground Floor) and Black (1st Floor) wires that were on Programmer's Terminal 4 Normally Open to the Heatlinks Terminal 3.

In the old thermostat boxes I joined the Brown and Black wires together so each old thermostat is essentially always calling for heat and safely terminated the Neutral wire as it was now redundant (i think?!) These wires were also only supplying 5v so i couldnt use this to power the Nest Thermostat as the internal battery kept on dying so at the moment the Nest thermostat is powered by USB.

Is this the correct way to go so far?

When the second Nest arrives, i guess i would need to wire that one up directly into the wiring centre to completely make the upstairs wiring to the old thermostat redundant? This is were my head is a little scrambled on how that would be accomplished.

Ideally, i would want to move both heatlinks to the cupboard with wiring center but its not a problem to leave the downstairs heatlink were the old programmer was, so really at the moment I just need a little direction on how I would add the second heatlink.

Oh and is there anyway to get 12v delivered into the old thermostat outlets so I could mount the nest thermostats on the walls?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• First floor thermostat.png
    First floor thermostat.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Ground floor thermostat.png
    Ground floor thermostat.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Programmer.png
    Programmer.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • Wiring Centre.png
    Wiring Centre.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 1704389317198.png
    1704389317198.png
    87 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Probably best using a knockout in the metal backbox, a grommet and feed the wire via the plasterboard to backbox. The 12v comes from the heat link, so no idea why you’re only receiving 5v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back