Nest to tado EK wirering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I want to move from nest to tado but can't find anything to help me swap the heatlink wirering to the tado EK. I also need help with jumper position. Has anyone done this and able to share diagram. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A bit more information is required to answer that:

What Nest product do you have now? [eg 3rd Gen, Nest-e] A photo of the wires connected to the existing Heat link would be helpful.
What is the Nest controlling? A heat only boiler with a connected hot water cylinder [eg S-Plan, Y-Plan] or Combi Boiler without a hot water cylinder.
I'm not familiar with a Tado EK product. Do you have any info on it? I assume by your reference to "jumper position" you have a Tado receiver box / extension kit, but the answers to the previous questions are necessary to determine the jumper positions.

A bit more information is required to answer that:

What Nest product do you have now? [eg 3rd Gen, Nest-e] A photo of the wires connected to the existing Heat link would be helpful.
What is the Nest controlling? A heat only boiler with a connected hot water cylinder [eg S-Plan, Y-Plan] or Combi Boiler without a hot water cylinder.
I'm not familiar with a Tado EK product. Do you have any info on it? I assume by your reference to "jumper position" you have a Tado receiver box / extension kit, but the answers to the previous questions are necessary to determine the jumper positions.
Tado extension kit perhaps? Although, I’m not sure of relevance.

Hi its 3rd gen and controls heating and water. I've added some pictures hat may or may not help.

Attachments

• 20220208_124346.jpg
    20220208_124346.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 171
  • 20220208_124514.jpg
    20220208_124514.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 20220208_124448.jpg
    20220208_124448.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 20220208_124456.jpg
    20220208_124456.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220208_124540.jpg
    20220208_124540.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20220208_124346.jpg
    20220208_124346.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
I see what you mean by jumper position
upload_2022-2-8_13-45-5.png

However I can't see from the picture of the Nest Gen 3 wiring if Nest wired volt free or not. If not volt free then the Jumper Position 2 would seem to be what you want, but if volt free then there is a problem as the DHW option is not available for volt free.

However it seems from the picture of the two valves likely working on a S Plan so likely the non volt free option is OK. But you need to verify this.

OK thanks, that helps a lot. You have a boiler with attached hot water cylinder and 2 x 2-port motorised valves known as an S-Plan.

The connections at the Nest Heat link are identified below:

heat-link-jpeg.251594

The wires move from the Heat link terminals to the Tado Receiver terminals that have exactly the same function. What follows assumes that your Tado receiver looks like the one below, if yours is different, post back a picture of what you have. The wires are pictorial and simplified so don't worry that you have more of them. It's crucial that you make sure you identify the wires correctly before they are moved, especially where there are more than one of the same colour. Get them mixed up and it will be difficult to identify them later.

The diagram below is for a boiler with a hot water cylinder and 2 x 2-port motorised valves. It shows the required jumper position for this set up.

upload_2022-2-8_13-42-12.jpeg

Based on the above:
Nest N = Tado N
Nest L = Tado L
Nest 3 Heating Call for Heat = Tado CH ON
Nest 6 Hot Water Call for Heat = Tado HW ON

The links between the Nest L and the common terminals is not required by Tado, Tado has the links already made internally for you.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks a lot. I have not bought the tado yet as I wanted to know how feasible it was to swap. I expect I'll get the kit for install in the spring. Did you notice wher the install guy trapped the wire on the terminal box!

No I didn't, but I see it now you've pointed it out, I see that the screw just missed. :eek:

That aside, the wiring centre doesn't look too bad, I've seen a lot worse. The cables are secured with cable ties to some extent, although it would have come with proper cable clamps similar to those in a 13A plug. The Nest Heat link is a bit of a rats nest, but if the wires are secure and don't have exposed conductors, they are likely to be OK. However, you will have the chance to get it tidied if you install Tado.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back