Nest wiring

Ah, gotcha.
There are zone valves there (see pic). The pump water flow is in the DOWN direction (surprising) and the zone valves are after/below that.

Does that make sense?

The safety discharge is a lot of work though. It's been mentioned before, in the context of "I can't change anything without making that copper pipe, but that would require a new pipe through the bathroom = £££".

Sponsored Links
that box in top right hand corner is the wiring center thats where your heat link needs to be fitted

S-Plan-Twin-Zone-Wiring-Diagram.png
that is your current setup.

you need to follow the s plan diagram in the nest manual.

Oh jees. Ok.
It seems like some of these random wires coming from the wall might be connecting to those zone valves then?

I'll check out that box, see what it has to say.

In the mean time I've asked more companies for quotes.

Every day's a learning day.

Okay, here's what I have upstairs. I've omitted the earth wires.

I guess the DHW switched live/call for heat would go into the other valve (which I didn't include as it's not used).
From your diagram, the brown wire from the valve seems to go to the DHW terminal (3) in the thermostat, but surely it should go to 4 in my case. Maybe I got it wrong.

Is it more obvious where I should plug in the Heat Link, and if I need to use the Common or Satisfied?

Sponsored Links
obviously liva and neautral to heat link then put a wire bridge between L and 2 on heat link then wire 3 from heat link to brown on motorised valve but disconnect and isolate the existing wire going to brown.

Just leave your timeclock connected it will be redundant but saves mucking about with it.

use the usb adaptor to power the nest itself don't worry about t1 and t2 no risk of blowing it up then.

thats it, but terminate that spare wire properly using a terminal connector, just because the rest of the installation looks like dog turd doesn't mean yours should :LOL:

do it properly and safely and be the better person :D

:D Aye, fair enough. I'll try to do a better job than the last guy.

Many thanks again for your help. I'll try it in the morning and shout if I blow anything up. ;)

Many thanks again for your help. I'll try it in the morning and shout if I blow anything up. ;)

this is where i put a disclaimer in....fook it up and its your own fault not some random plumber of the internet :p

Again someone treating this forum like a how to manual. Should call this cheapskate.com

Thanks igneous.

It's a fine line, I know, but I find it easier to learn from people with real life experience than from a manual.

And in my professional life I'm more than happy to help someone for, say, 2hrs when it would otherwise have taken him 10hrs to work it out himself.

F.

maybe the forum should have a tip jar facility for when we go above and beyond with advice and save people the money of a professional call out ;)

I wouldn't be against that deano, although clearly if you did it yourself for money then you'd be liable. this way, I'm in the sheeeet. ;)

So, I thought I'd tinker and investigate more, and I am still a little confused about the wiring.
You're rolling your eyes now, but I wanted to essentially unwire the current thermostat, and I've worked out which one that it.
Currently though, I did what I suggested at the beginning (directly replace the current controller with the Heat Link). I know, I'm a stubborn sod, but an inquisitive one. And it seems to be working.

However, I'm not sure it's not actually still beholden to the old thermostat so I need to work it out tomorrow.
Is this why you suggested putting it upstairs by the pump, because it would essentially then bypass the old thermostat?

Incidentally, the Nest Pro (find a pro installer via the website ) doesn't work too well. I've requested a quote from 6 companies and had one reply!

I wouldn't be against that deano, although clearly if you did it yourself for money then you'd be liable. this way, I'm in the sheeeet. ;)

fitted well over 30 units now, have a 5 star rating on nest pro site, would have had your job sussed in 10mins if i was on site and had the nest up an running within 30 ;)

but i get twitchy if i have to go inside the m25 even more so when its across the water. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back