Nest Zoned thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello experts! I need to help to pass on to my electrician please.

I'm getting a Ideal Logic Max boiler installed and 3 zone valves to create 3 heating zones in the house. Each zone will have a Nest but he's asking about the wiring and I don't have a clue. What wires go from Nest to boiler (if any) and how to connect to heat link to the zone valves. The answer can be as complex as needed as it will be for my sparky and not for me!

I've got Nest in my current house but the thermostat wires were already in place when I moved in, I just added the heat link to the existing zone valves.

I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Each Zone will need a L,N,E and permanent live then all switched wiring would go via a wiring center back to the boilers switch live. Make sure that the gas engineer is there for the case removal for wiring, otherwise the electrician might not be able to do it as the case forms part of the combustion circuit. You also need wiring for the T1 and T2.

What you have is an S-Plan system; sometimes called S-Plan+ when there are several heating zones. It's probably the most common system being fitted in the UK, and regarding installation, for Nest it's really the same as for all other thermostats. Each of the 3 zone valves is wired to it's own individual thermostat be it Nest, Honeywell, Hive, et al. Then it's the zone valve that controls the boiler, meaning the thermostat wiring is not electrically connected to the boiler at all. But this is standard S-Plan stuff, so nothing special for electricians familiar with wiring heating systems.

There are two types of Nest, you don't say which you have, but if you have the Nest e, that is battery operated and just has two connections, basically a switch to operate the zone valve it is connected to. Nest 3rd Gen needs a 230V supply to operate it and the T1 & T2 connections produce a 12v supply from the heat link to provide operating power for the remote thermostat as per @CBW

You don't mention hot water control, but If you have a stored hot water system connected to the boiler (ie a hot water cylinder) then Nest e won't work for you. For 3rd Gen Nest one of the 3 heating zone Nest thermostats can be used to control the hot water in the same way that the second channel of a dual channel programmer would.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
@stem it‘s possible the boiler (Ideal Logic Max) is a Combi? Also it would seem the electrician isn’t familiar with wiring if heating systems if their customer is asking in here :unsure: :LOL:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back