OpenTherm with Multiple nests on underfloor heating

Sponsored Links
I have a big red button that says ON. Pushed it 3 years ago. Don't touch anything else :D

In all seriousness, my bigger jobs now we don't bother with Hot Water timing. There is an on/off button in the boiler. Balls to giving people more things to touch and break. :LOL:

I would still fit a hot water timer on systems with a cylinder to cater for those who are disturbed by a boiler working during the night.

There was one boiler maker who made a combi with always on hot water preheat. I expect more than one installer has had to change one of them for the sensitive sleepers.

Sponsored Links
I would still fit a hot water timer on systems with a cylinder to cater for those who are disturbed by a boiler working during the night.

In all seriousness, the loss from a UV cylinder is so small, not having a timer does not mean the boiler will be cycling. If there is tiny little bit of heat loss, thermostat hysteresis will most likely not result in boiler firing through the night.

Indeed it doesn't - my data logging for the last year has demonstrated that, hence my stance.

Besides, most of the places I install in have the boiler and cylinder far enough away from any living area and, of course being the mighty Gash run mostly silent anyway.

I am sitting 3 feet away from mine at the moment and can't hear it even though it is going like the clappers reheating the cylinder as SWMBO runs her bath.

In fact - the water running through the safety group of the cylinder makes more noise.

I'm curious, I usually set the flow temp for a UFH only system to around 45 degrees. Would OT make that much of a difference to the running costs?

Allows for the highest load on mixed emitters to compensate. When I'm doing my Eco's with inTouch weather comp, I set the curve to the rads and have a GFA to limit the ufh to design flows to cope with the winter.

If i was using an HM80 the OT would work hand in hand with the rads and whatnot.
Moot point with the Mighty Gash though :(.

That makes sense Dan.

All your prayers may be answered very soon now. There's some serious engineer training going on next month ;)

PS In a few months time you may be thinking that your ECO isn't so quiet after all (y)

I need to talk to Dave or Mark - not been in spoken to the bunker in ages. Got a pair going into one house soon might be asking for a letter from my mum on badge ratings :D.

Depends on the questions I suppose. Once familiar with the boiler in a hands on way, you'd get more out of asking questions in the CC or on the Faceache group. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back