Networking a remote drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having put the trials of the dead pc behind me, I've been redoing my network connections, for two XP and one Vista pcs.

The problem centres on my remote back up drive, which is hooked up to the Vista pc: I've shared it, given it all the permissions to access it and change the files, but, when trying to access it from either of the XP pcs, I get a message saying that I dont have access rights...

I can't see any other boxes to check/uncheck, I set the network up through admin accounts on all the pcs and I managed to frantically back up to it on the same arrangement, before the pc finally died, so what's with its awkwardness in letting me get into it now?

I know that I could just move the drive onto either of the XPs, but that's not the point!

Sponsored Links
Hi

You could try and create an account on your XP PC that is exactly the same as the account you logon to on the Vista PC, same username & password.

Hi Doc, they all are: I even stripped out the password on the accounts! I've tried making a completely new network with a new name, that was without success, either.

Am flummoxed!

Can you share folders on the C drive on the Vista PC?
Which version of Vista?

Sponsored Links
Are all the PCs in the same workgroup, i.e. if on the vista machine you open control panel, system it should say there.
On the XP machines on the control panel, system, computer name tab.

Hmm, now I can't access the vista one from an XP machine at all!

:oops: Just as I posted that, I realised that I'd just put the Vista one into safe mode, to copy over my email pst file, durr.

It wasn't picking up the remote when they were all in normal mode, I hasten to add!

Yes, that's how they all are.
Sorry, I meant to say I think name of the workgroup on all the machines needs to be the same i.e. I have made all of mine "MSHOME" workgroup.

So you can access files on the internal hard disk of the Vista machine? What happens if you go to the drive letter in your computer, right click, share, advanced sharing, continue, tick share this folder, then OK?
Do you get a little sharing icon (looks like 2 people) appear on the icon in your computer?
On the XP machine, if you goto start, my network places, view workgroup computers can it see the Vista machine? If it does, and you double click the vista computer name icon it should let you see any shared folders, drives etc.

Yep, it does that. I can push from the remote drive on the Vista machine to the networked folders on the XP ones, but can't pull from it.

All on same network, I've shared the remote drive as well, it just won't show up. I've installed that link layer topology thing, tried mapping to the drive, but it just keeps telling me that I don't have the permissions to access it.

Have you got file sharing enabled on the Vista machine, think it is network centre?

Spark and Ig: yes and yes.

Regarding the firewall, I use the windows one on both machines. I started reading up on making sure some ports were open, but wouldn't know where to start with that for a remote drive.

Sponsored Links
Back