xp networking (crossover cable)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a network so I can share files across 2 pc's.

They both run xp and i ran the xp network wizard on them.

One can see the other but the other one can't see or connect.

I've disables firewalls and am using the administrator logon, but they can't seen to connect.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer!!

Thanks and happy new year.

Sponsored Links
As a first step, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL on both machines. This will give you their ip addresses and subnet masks. If you have used the wizard, the machines should have unique ip addresses and identical masks and should be something like 192.168.0.?/255.255.255.0, where the ? is the bit that makes each unique.

One you know the addresses, try pinging one from the other. Using the same command prompt type PING ip address, where ip address is the address of the other PC. Do they respond?

If not, try pinging a machine from itself using the loopback address 127.0.0.1 (ie. PING 127.0.0.1 on each machine). Do they respond?

Assuming the above gives good results and you have shared a resource on BOTH machines (eg., the C drive). Try accessing it directly. Let's assume you have shared the C drive on both machines. Click START>RUN and in the box type \\ipaddress\C, where ipaddress is the address of the other machine. Does a browser window open or do you get an error message.

Post the results and we can go a bit further.

Thanks,

I'll try that out tomorrow when I'm with the computers again and post the results.

Kev

Sponsored Links
Back