network connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is back from Uni for the xmas break she has brought back her pc which is in the same room as my own
So she can share my internet connection while she is here I have cabled up the two pc,s rs232 cable I think run the xp network connection wizard on both pc,s. mine the host hers as the guest. they are now connected through what M/s label Internet gateway connection on the network connections page. The problem is her computer is showing lan connection active but cannot find sever on trying to connect to internet. I have set tc/ip address settings to automatic on both pc,s but to no avail. Have I missed something somewhere. We are both running xp.

Sponsored Links
You also need to setup Internet Connection Sharing on the host PC. The host requires a static ip address (which will happen when you enable ICS).

yes I did run the wizard on the networked pc which enables ICS and indeed the networked pc LAN connection shows connected and firewalled and also shows it is networked with the host under internet gateway section of the network connections page so configuration seems to be ok. it is when trying to access any page it cannot find the server.Is it possible the isp be at fault or could there be a conflict in the two pc,s ethernet cards.

Can you get file sharing to work between the two computers? I take it you have brought a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two computers ethernet ports? If you open up network connections page on the host PC, select your LAN, properties and under the advanced tab is internet connection sharing enabled?

Sponsored Links
Yes its file sharing ok. and I thought you may have cracked it as the internet share connection was not ticked (It is in the isp configuration advance/properties etc.) but alas after enabling just the same cannot find server and unavailable page on the networked pc.

Which broadband provider are you with? USB Modem? I know AOL is a bit awkward in you need to alter the way AOL connects to the internet for this to work. If you are with AOL shout back, don't do the following!!
On your network connections page, do you have anything under the heading "Broadband". If so, under this, properties, advanced, is internet connection sharing enabled? When enabling you may need to specify the LAN which connects to the other PC.

To answer Igorian,s question the host computer Lan network ip address which I originally configured as "obtain ip address automatically" is now showing 192.168.0.1
The networked computer Lan network which I configured as "obtain ip address automatically" is still blank in the ip address box.

To answer spark123,s question my broadband provider is TalkTalk (I know you don't have to tell me) connected via modem to usb.Under talktalk broadband properties ICS has been enabled but cannot see a link to enable LAN connection.

I guess the fact that the networked pc has not been supplied with an ip address is why it will not connect to talktalk server.Correct me if I am wrong but the ip address on the networked pc will have to be different to the host as I have tried manually putting the host's ip address into the networked pc but caused a conflict. Original configuration has been reastablished.

Not to worry if this is now down to the isp. I will know in future ics is out with Talktalk it would have just been nice to know for definate.

Nothing to do with the isp. The host PC establishes the Internet connection and the guest uses services provided by the host. What exactly is the cable you are using to connect? Is it indeed a serial cable, or is it an ethernet crossover cable?

Try turning off the firewalls temporarily.

Right thanks for that, tried turning off both firewalls no change. Is it now apparent that because in the Internet protocol tcp/ip box on the networked pc,s Lan properties is not showing any ip address is the reason why server cannot be found and if so were would this be produced from I have both pc,s connected via ethernet cable.

If you go onto the networked PC, start menu, run. Type cmd
In the cmd window type ipconfig/all
This should tell you the IP address for the network card in your PC
I am not thinking this is an issue as you can file share over the ethernet cable, I am still thinking it is more to do with the LAN-Broadband link in your main PC.
Wondering if it is worth disabling ICS in talktalk then re-enabling it??

Run the network wizard on the guest and select the option that lets you connect via another PC. It should find the shared connection now ics is enabled.

Re spark123 tried disconecting ics from talktalk broadband disconnecting which then made the LAN icon on the guest unavailable which was correct. then re enabled ICS reconnected which made did enable the Lan icon on the guest but still when opening the browser on the guest will not find server/page unavailable.

Re igorian the message on the guest network set up does tell me it is ICS with the host and tags the hosts identity so it seems the link setting is ok when setting up the wizard. When she is at her digs at her uni she is connected thru virgin broadband this is now disconnected shown in the network connections box while I tried to network it up here this should not make a difference.

the position now is

host pc
talktalk broadband
connected shared firewalled
usb adsl wan adapter

Local area connection
enabled
3com 3c905tx-based ethernet

and on the guest network page

apart from virgin dial up disconnected

Internet gateway
talktalk broadband on
JOHN-FR6C5Wetc (which is the host)
connected

LAN or high speed internet

Local area connection
connected, firewalled
realtek RTL8139/810xfamily etc

139connection
disabled firewalled
1394 Net adapter
(which I assume is a wireless adapter)

Can I assume from this that the set up is correct if so I will just plough thru xp help index so see if I have missed anything obvious as I previously mentioned it is not imperative to have this done but I would have still liked to have found out the reason as I am sure guys would

Open a command prompt on the guest and type ping 192.168.0.1 and post the result. Then type ping google.co.uk and post the result. Then type ipconfig /all and post the result.

Another thought. Open IE and go to tools and internet options. Click the Connections tab. Make sure Never dial a connection is checked. Click Lan Settings and make sure Automatically detect settings is checked. All other boxes (proxy etc) unchecked.

You will need to restart the browser after making any changes.

Re igorian

the first two commands both came up " request timed out "three times then nothing
last option type ipconfig/all came up blank. Do I assume to type in the run box "cmd" first if so is there any particular information you require as there is quite a lot of info there and of course I cannot copy and paste to send on the guest pc
tried changing dial instr in internet options to never dial but no change the dial up instructions never came up anyway since configuring the LAN connection.

Sponsored Links
Back