network connection

Yes, you need to open a command box first by typing in the run box cmd
If you can't ping the host from the guest try disabling the firewalls and try again.

Sponsored Links
tockworth said:
Re igorian

Do I assume to type in the run box "cmd" first if so is there any particular information you require as there is quite a lot of info there and of course I cannot copy and paste to send on the guest pc

You said that file sharing was working. Save the info to a file and copy it to the host. I am interested in the ipaddress, mask and default gateway information of the guest machine.

Are you sure there is no firewall? Any other security packages?

Yes everything is up and running, you guys actually sussed and diagnosed on a earlier posting but I, unfortunately led you up a couple of blind allies. Firstly when I said it was file sharing I made an assumption because I saw some of my daughters images and text documents in my system the host, I thought It was originating from the guest (My daughters) pc I have now found out she had downloaded uni course information from the internet onto my pc which she intended to load onto flash and then onto her pc. Secondly on a earlier and on the last posting you told me to disconnect the firewall which I did but it was xp,s own not thinking I'm subscribed to F Security which I had firewall enabled and this was the culprit. As soon as I disconnected the firewall pages loaded down onto the guest. I have the F Security firewall disabled at the moment but glancing at it I think I can custom configure it to protect and still allow networking. Thankyou guys for your time and info, sorry about the foul up all that remains is, for you to tell me the command prompt to get my pc to give me next saturdays six Lottery numbers.

Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
tockworth said:
Yes everything is up and running, you guys actually sussed and diagnosed on a earlier posting but I, unfortunately led you up a couple of blind allies. Firstly when I said it was file sharing I made an assumption because I saw some of my daughters images and text documents in my system the host, I thought It was originating from the guest (My daughters) pc I have now found out she had downloaded uni course information from the internet onto my pc which she intended to load onto flash and then onto her pc. Secondly on a earlier and on the last posting you told me to disconnect the firewall which I did but it was xp,s own not thinking I'm subscribed to F Security which I had firewall enabled and this was the culprit. As soon as I disconnected the firewall pages loaded down onto the guest. I have the F Security firewall disabled at the moment but glancing at it I think I can custom configure it to protect and still allow networking. Thankyou guys for your time and info, sorry about the foul up all that remains is, for you to tell me the command prompt to get my pc to give me next saturdays six Lottery numbers.

Happy New Year

Glad you have it running. You can see the importance of having as much detail as possible to diagnose these (or indeed any) kinds of problems.

Back