Neutral at switches for 2 or more way control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into rewiring my house as the existing setup is extremely dated. Floors need to come up anyway and it'll all have to be plaster boarded and redecorated so I have the opportunity to run anything I need, but I'm new to home ownership and automation.

For lighting circuits with 2 or 3 switches (some will have 2 way, others 2 way + intermediate) is it useful or beneficial to be running a neutral to ALL switches on the circuit, or should only the first switch have a neutral?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh what a tangled web you weave. Today there are so many options. My mother house when rewired had triple and earth drops to all switches so the extra wire could be used for two way or a neutral if required. But not seen a quadruple and earth cable, so to get both two way and a neutral not easy.

Either the ceiling rose can be used as a junction box (standard method in UK) or the switch back box (standard method USA) there are advantages and disadvantages to both, the British method means less volt drop, emergency lights are easy, and also ceiling fans, but using the switch back box means less of a problem wiring down lights, not sure why anyone wants down lights.

But today with electronic switching the strappers can be two wire instead of normal three, and with kinetic energy being use to work switches we can now get two way switching without any wires. If that is you need two way switching.

We have used Google Nest Mini's and the command Hey Google turn on landing lights for some time now, the switches still work, but not conveniently located.

There are so many smart controls, from the smart bulb, to smart relay which can easy be mounted in the lamp so can also have switched, and then three types of smart switch, one which needs a neutral, one which passes a small current through the bulb, and one which uses a battery.I use a remote control 1709150024652.jpegit has the disadvantage is it can get lost, knock it off my bedside table, the magnetic backed button 1709150210414.png is another method, I use one as a door bell push, turning it can also dim lights. The big advantage is you can mount it anywhere, at one point it was stuck to the metal head board of the bed.

OK most used as I can't run wires, but it does make it flexible. However you design the wiring, you will always find it was wrong, some one wrote a law about it, so down to earth. So using three core and earth for the drops so you have some flexibility makes sense, but in the main cables I have put in for latter use have never been used.

I remember running the telephone wires with the idea of using the Fax machine, not only has the Fax machine gone so have wired phones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back