Neutral disconnected and taped over - what to do next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - recently changed sockets in a room - and behind one, I discovered one of the neutrals had been disconnected and taped over. Sockets do not show any neutral faults, so the ring is complete one way - but when I connect the "taped over" neutral and remove the other, I get a neutral fault. Hence, I can assume that the taped over neutral has been cut or disconnected elsewhere on the ring.

Question - how do I find where the break/fault is? This is the entire downstairs ring, bar kitchen and utility, so whilst the load is low (TV, PC etc) it concerns me that I effectively have a live ring with a neutral spur! I assume I could disconnect one neutral at the CU and find which sockets report a fault - if none, then the socket with the taped over neutral must be the last in the ring, if several then I need to slowly work around those with both neutrals connected back to the CU until I find the one that is next in the circuit to the one with the disconnected neutral?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it is part of the ring it will need to be disconnected at two points to clear a fault like this but as you say, you then don't have a completed ring which isn't correct and could cause overloading on one leg.
I take it that it is tripping an RCD?
Firstly try to locate the other end of the same faulty piece of wire.

Hi Spark - Now in the process of taking all sockets off to see if I can find the other one that has the neutral disconnected - and in so doing have discovered a new spur, and a new socket which has been inserted into the ring - and a wall light that is fed from the mains ring, with no isolation.

Happy days!

Sponsored Links
Hi Spark - Now in the process of taking all sockets off to see if I can find the other one that has the neutral disconnected - and in so doing have discovered a new spur, and a new socket which has been inserted into the ring - and a wall light that is fed from the mains ring, with no isolation.

Happy days!

Reality bites!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back