neutral for room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just run wire from boiler to room stat in twin and earth only to find I also need another neutral on the stat, Honeywell t6360. Can I just pick a neutral from another source close to the stat rather than run one from the boiler switched fuse spur as shown in boiler diagram (Combi). Thanks

Sponsored Links
you only need the neutral to make the stat more accurate.

it still will work just using the two switch wires.

id sleeve the earth wire an use that as the neutral ;)

Sponsored Links
edited: mistake removed

are you thinking of suggesting doing something with the CPC?

A T6360 is a standard mechanical stat so it will work in a fashion without a neutral. NO YOU CAN'T USE THE EARTH AS A NEUTRAL onlyfitidealboilers should be strung up for even suggesting it !!! :eek: :eek:

No you cant pick up a neutral from a local source as this would be potentially dangerous when work was carried out involving isolating the double pole fused isolation point a stray neutral could introduce voltage into the supposidly isolated circuit which could lead to electrocution & death

my advice either leave N dissed or run a 3 & E cable ;)

why not. why do you need to earth a room stat?

seen it more then 100 times no earth on a stat, your lucky to get a neutral on most!

HAVE A LOOK AT BS7671 for Electrical installation a protective conductor must never be used as a current conductor if a stat does not need an earth, the cable feeding it should still be earthed at the other end!! :rolleyes:

Make life easier for yourself and fit a digital stat, no neutral required just 2 wires and a battery to switch it.

I would just follow the manufacture instructions in that case an if they say
it doesn't need a earth I dont give a FU*K what the regs say.. ;)

trade the stat in for a hard wired digital type line in, line out, no earth, no neutral, batteries do the switching.

the stat he has already got will work with L in and S/L out. He will just lose the Anticipator.

I don't know how much work it would be to pull in some 3+E. Maybe the existing cable could be used to pull it.

It is very bad practice, and unsafe, to use a borrowed neutral or to use a CPC as a live conductor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back