Neutral wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks in advance for your replies here goes.

I have a single meter coming in my house however i have two supplies from it (This was historical and related to a second circuit for storage heaters before my time).

Anyway I had the meter changed this week so that hopefully the second system feeding the storage heaters (No longer there as i have removed them) would be taken out completely. However on checking what was done I notice that while the live wire has been removed the neutral and earth have been left connected.

I know nothing about messing with the mains supply but would like to remove the neutral and earth wire in order that the now obsolete fusebox that used to manage the storage heaters can be removed. Can i do this safely ? The earth wire doesn't worry me as i know that is a safety mechanism however i am not sure of the neutral wire. It goes from the old fusebox into a sealed box by the meter (Sealed with a little metal wire tag).

Not sure if this makes sense but would appreciate views as to what i can do to get rid of the neutral wire and then dispose of an unneeded and disused fusebox.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I understand right, you no longer use the off peak service. Hopefully you have discontinued the old (Economy 7?) tariff and that is why they have changed the meter?

Need pictures please to understand what you now have.!

Yes, you can safely remove the neutral tail to the old CU.

Just check that no neutral has been 'tagged' off from the old fusebox to a small switch fuse, or your main fusebox - some people used to do this.

As for your earth, your right, it is there for safety, so you need to ensure that the earth to your main fuseboard and any equipotential bonding does not go 'via' your old fuseboard.

A few photos would help us confirm

Gents,
as requested I have posted three pictures with comments. Hope this helps.

I have spoken today to the electric company with interesting results. Firstly they stated they are not responsible as they only have responsibility to the Meter. They state that as it is after the meter it is my responsibility and I should call an electrician. I then pointed out if they are not responsible why did they disconnect one of the wires ? I was told this was for 'safety reasons' This conversation was a non starter and I was eventually put through to a technical guy who clearly understood what I was saying and was at a loss to understand why only one of the tails had been disconnected. Either both or nothing was his comment.
I am hoping they will come and rectify - awaits

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
The red they removed was possibly from the old meter, the henley blocks are not theres ,but they could have removed the neutral for you.

The earth may be better pulled out from the hole to confirm it is the one and cut short and parked up in an earth bar, I would not recomend you removing the cover to the head.

Isn't everything after the meter terminals the responsibility of the consumer?

Looking at that you can happily remove the neutral and earth without issue. The neutral can safely be removed without turning off the power, just make sure you open the correct 'henely' block as the other will be LIVE. Also make sure you loosen the screws than hold the correct neutral.

If in any doubt, wait for lecky board to come back, or pay a spark £20 to do it on the way home!

So it is, odd one going in the bottom too.

You could just cut the earth and stick a henley on the end of it.

Thanks for all your comments very much appreciated.

In summary i think what is being said is as follows

1. Its safe to disconnect the neutral from the old fusebox.
2. open up the henly block (I think that is the black box after the meter) on the neutral side and loosen off the screw of the unneeded neutral and pull out.
3. Undo the earth wire from the old fuse box.
4. Fit a new henly block in the box and put the earth into that after cutting back.
5. Someone mentioned 'don't open up the head' is that the bigger black box before the meter ? Clearly I wont do this then.
6. Do i need to take any safety precautions before I do any of this ?

Thanks

Mark

Do i need to take any safety precautions before I do any of this ?
If you're not happy doing this then ask a spark to pop round and do it. Should only take two minutes.

Beware that when you open the henley block, the left side will be live and the only think between you and the substation is the service fuse in the supply head! :LOL:

Fit a new henly block in the box and put the earth into that after cutting back.
If you pull the earth cable back through from the old fuse box you can terminate it in an earth block (same principal as a Henley block but not for live conductors).

TLEB4.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back