New 50mm MDPE water connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new 50mm MDPE water pipe being laid across a field to a barn that is being renovated. My question is what to do with it where it enters the house.

A) Should I reduce it down but still in MDPE before it enters the house and then end up on copper for the stop tap and drain plug,

OR

B) Take 50mm MDPE all the way into house and go straight to 22mm or 15mm copper at the stop tap ?

any advice appreciated ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
50mm! how long is the run?

I'm not a plumber but did something similar

What type of heating system are you going to have? How many baths/shower etc.

Hi,

I have a new 50mm MDPE water pipe being laid across a field to a barn that is being renovated. My question is what to do with it where it enters the house.

A) Should I reduce it down but still in MDPE before it enters the house and then end up on copper for the stop tap and drain plug,

OR

B) Take 50mm MDPE all the way into house and go straight to 22mm or 15mm copper at the stop tap ?

any advice appreciated ?

Thanks

My advice is to have a 50mm stopcock.

Then you can do what you like and change or modify it easily as you dont seem to have thought of what you want yet.

Tony

"My advice is to have a 50mm stopcock".

That should give you something to tie the horse to :D

I'd suggest a 50mm stop and drain valve outside located underground at the depth of the service line and terminate the 50mm there. Then bring a 22mm service line into the house with a 22mm stop valve where it rises above floor level. (in kitchen cupboard or wherever)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the ideas, lol I knew someone would question why 50mm pipe. It's a long run of 800 Metres and that's what the water company specified so thats' what I put in.

Stop cock outside and underground sounds like a good idea but from past experience these things are either seized or leak years down the line.

but coming in on 22mm would seem easier to manage once inside the house.

How much did the 800m cost?

How manay joints do you have in it?

Did you mark where the joins are for easy repair?

You could put some metal in the ground where you can easily detect the metal to mark the spot!

Tony

Once you work out the maximum required demand and flow rate/pressure, my advice would be to reduce it down to 32mm and take the smaller size into the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back