NEW ACER PC CANT SET UP MY PRINTER - WINDOWS 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From one dilemma to another.

Purchased a new Acer PC yesterday. It ran windows 8.1 but recommended you download the new Windows 10. I won't go through it all but the list was endless what it said would and wouldn't happen if you DIDNT do the download.

So am now running Windows 10. Not too difficult but took about 3 hours.

Next, let's set up my HP printer.........not that easy, it can't find it. Have downloaded latest drivers etc etc. rang Acer they said there was a charge of £40 for a technician to talk me through it. I put the phone down.

Can anyone please help, this is only the first of my devices, heaven knows what will happen when I try anything else. I have an option to revert back to 8.1, would this solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Sorry crystal ball has given up the ghost, which HP printer? They have made several.

It's ok, I had an internet page left on the screen and thought, ok, there is a little box in the top right corner, new to me, showing a couple of little options, one of these is PRINT, I thought lets just click it and see if I can at least print the page, I clicked it and another larger box appeared with an unknown to me printer name but you could select from a list, and there was my HP printer, I selected it, clicked print, and hey presto the page printed off.
Only thing is, I don't seem to be able to find an icon on my desktop for this, but it obviously is there.
Previously, on my old PC I went to START menu, in my bottom left corner and printer showed there so it easy to find.
Anyone any clues?
Just tried to install the software from my newish Panasonic camera and it's not having it, so will need to do some scouting round. I presume these are all Windows 10 issues.

You want help but so secretive with regards information! Newish Panasonic camera?????

Sponsored Links
You should not have upgraded, support for 10 will be slim at this stage for driver support as manufacturers will not have caught up.

Not a helpful comment, but not much help I can offer really.

If there are any updates for the camera software they'll be on the Panasonic site. Worth checking for updates regularly anyway including firmware updates for the camera.
Otherwise drivers, if available, will be from the respective ahrdware manufacturers.
Don't know much about Win 10 specifically. I'm holding off until the problems are sorted.
Or possibly just holding off full stop!

Like any operating system, home users should refrain from getting it untill it is at least a year old.

Windows 10 is generally OK from first impressions for your average user, excluding bugs as the OP is finding out.

Though I won't touch it due to the the telemetary stuff (sends microsoft information on what you do) and vauge anti piracy clauses (it won't let unortharized hardware work on your computer, no I don't know what that means, neither does anyone else).

Like any operating system, home users should refrain from getting it untill it is at least a year old.

Windows 10 is generally OK from first impressions for your average user, excluding bugs as the OP is finding out.

Though I won't touch it due to the the telemetary stuff (sends microsoft information on what you do) and vauge anti piracy clauses (it won't let unortharized hardware work on your computer, no I don't know what that means, neither does anyone else).

I agree with you. I'm not keen on the software "phoning home" not on some of the clauses in the licence.
Suffice to say that it's a gift horse I am continuing to look in the mouth of. I play games on the machine, so it may be that I will end up with a computer for gaming with Win 10, and another separate one with Linux for all other uses.

To AlanE....no secrets, camera is Panasonic LZ20 and printer HP F2400, hope this satisfies you.

Not been on here as have been full of cold due the stress of setting up my brand new PC, Acer, purchased from Argos reduced to £345. I am coping with Windows 10, BUT, this blasted thing is slower than my previous 7 years old one. How can that be? I am slowly 'uninstalling' all the unnecessary apps that came on it, then tonight I had a BOD, already, that's unbelievable. It gave the message CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. From what I read this is not good. It has booted up again ok but this is surely not right.

Do I take this thing back or can anyone help. Please.

Once you've successfully upgraded to win 10 you can do a clean install so all the bloatware isn't there. Make sure your win 10 is activated first.

As said, just revert back to windows 8

The issues you describe are likely to be driver issues related to 10

To AlanE....no secrets, camera is Panasonic LZ20 and printer HP F2400, hope this satisfies you.
Doesn't worry me in the least, just strange someone asks questions about specific items but fail to give basic information such as what the items are!!

Sponsored Links
Back