New Alarm Installations & Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I know that similar questions have come up on numerous occasions, however I really need the definitive answer on hard wiring an alarm panel and where this falls under part P?
I have installed a number of alarm systems over the years and I am also no stranger to electrical installations. (conform with regs etc) I am about to do a comprehensive alarm installer course and I intend to start a small business installing intruder alarms.

Now, I have a full list of what is 'notifiable' and what is not and I am fully aware that building regs need to be applied, regardless of the work carried out. However, the confusion on what is allowed and what is not allowed remains confusing!!

This is how I read it - Upon connecting the alarm panel to the mains, I can legally carry out the works, using a hardwired fused spur or fused outlet, so long as it falls outside of the notifiable areas mentioned in part P. This work does not need to be checked or varified and I do not need to issue any certificate.

I know that you could technically just plug the panel into an existing socket, however I feel that this approach is rather unprofessional.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me the definitive answer on this, irrespective of their personal feelings on whether it is right or wrong (Hey, I don't make the rules).

I would be truly grateful for your answer on this, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Adding a fused spur to an existing ring or radial circuit is not notifiable but all domestic works, including fitting a spur, fall under Part P. Will require testing (the hard bit) and will probably need a minor works certificate.

Yep, additions or alterations to an existing circuit require a Minor Works Cert if you want it to comply with the IEE regs (17th edn). It also comes with the minefield of making sure the circuit you are working on is up to it and main bonding in place etc.

Thanks guys, but WOW, this whole thing is so confusing! Why is it made so complicated???

So basically, I can add a fused spur myself but I would need to pay someone to test & certify it......., which makes the whole thing finanicially unviable!

Of all the Part P research I have done, this is the first mention of non notifiable works having to be inspected! Even the government's own Part P explanation leaflet (below) suggest that you can just do the work and forget about it!! Why do they not mention that you still have to get it inspected??????

http://www.jugglefrogs.co.uk/image/Electician_New_Rules.pdf?phpMyAdmin=LP,ts2tVT9Zq-269Cv71kaZ,3Wd

TBH I might just cancel the course, as it seems I will have to do a 'Defined Scope' Bpec course at a cost of £1000 AND then register with NAPIT at another £500pa, just to wire up a simple spur that I have done 20+ times before!! Makes the whole venture a little unrealsitic!

Thanks anyway guys!

Sponsored Links
this is the first mention of non notifiable works having to be inspected

Doesn't have to be inspected and you can test and do the minor works certificate yourself. But.....can you show you are competent to do so and can test properly? The easy bit is fitting the fused spur.

Now I understand.

Trouble is you would need to do a course just to understand the test equipment and processes. Also, i'm not sure you would get insured unless you were properly qualified to test and certify.

The course director suggests that you can just plug the panels into a 13a socket, but that's just not good enough for me. If I cant do it properly, then I'm out!

Thanks for all of your replies

Trouble is you would need to do a course just to understand the test equipment and processes. Also, i'm not sure you would get insured unless you were properly qualified to test and certify.
Insurance is another thing, but unless the insurer requires something more, then a few hours with an experienced person should teach you enough to be able to do your "defined scope" works. Heck, they turn out defined scope people in 5 day courses who are then "qualified" to do a lot more than just add an FCU to an existing RFC.
But you'd then also need access to test equipment, which will itself need calibrating periodically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back