New Alarm Suggestions

GJS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a recent break-in I want to upgrade the Scantronic 9452 alarm system at my house. I have the existing wiring for three PIRs, front door contacts, SAB and SCB, plus remote key pad, but will probably want to add more contacts/sensors wirelessly Can anybody recomend some systems I should look at? My priorities are:

1. High quality, best security.
2. Low false alarms
3. Speech dialling/sms sending/listen-in.
4. Price
5. Ethernet/IP connectivity, for remote programming and arming
6. Compatible with CCTV cameras that can be remotely viewed.

This will be for self install. I have installed a Veritas R8 at my old house and have a background in electronics so I'm not concerned about the complexity of the system. House is a four bed detached with integral garage and garden shed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
if I were you I'd look at physical security. Crack-heads are on another planet and they don't care what name or number is on your control panel. If the 9452 didn't do the trick - then nothing else is likely to either. Once they make up their minds they are going in - then only a physical barrier will stop them.

Absolutely. The alarm upgrade is just part of an overall strategy which has physical protection as the main defense.

i sympatise with you but dont see the points you wan being in the same sentance.

let me ask toy this.

ip adressable cameras for remote viewing, why do you want them?, no really why?

I have seen them, I was at some MD's house of some company, and he showed me, we could see all of his "empire"
yes it was clever, very good picture quality, all he does with it is use it to frighten the staff, knowing he can look in on them.

so what are you going to do with it?, you cant sit and watch it while you should be working, if you do the novelty will soon wear off, and you will just use it to show viitors to your work place what technology you have.

why not get a dvr and just record the house, cheaper, better and of more use.

Sponsored Links
The IP addressable cameras are to take still images and immediately transmit them off site to a remote server, when the alarm is triggerred. This is in the hope that they can later be used for idetification of the scum by the police. DVR recording is OK but the resolution won't be up to much and the DVR can be destroyed to eliminate the evidence.

This is a low priority but possibly worth doing after everything else is done. As you say, real time surveillance is not practical.

What are peoples views on the Visonic PowerMax Plus panel? And are there any big differences between SABs or are they much the same? These are the first two upgrades for the alarm.

Also, can anyone advise on removing the existing SAB? Is it just a case of popping the front off and cutting wires to get rid of it? From what I can remenber they have an internal link to hold off the bell but obviously I won't have one that fits.

Thanks.

as for dvr resolution, depends what you set it for. I have mine set at 30fps

it can only be destroyed if A; they know what it is. B: they Know where it is

sabs are all prety much the same, some just have flashing leds some dont, but if its cheap, dont buy one, also get one with 2 "sound devices" just incase one packs up

to remove sab take cover off, remove battery link

The IP addressable cameras are to take still images and immediately transmit them off site to a remote server, when the alarm is triggerred. This is in the hope that they can later be used for idetification of the scum by the police. DVR recording is OK but the resolution won't be up to much and the DVR can be destroyed to eliminate the evidence.

This is a low priority but possibly worth doing after everything else is done. As you say, real time surveillance is not practical.

What are peoples views on the Visonic PowerMax Plus panel? And are there any big differences between SABs or are they much the same? These are the first two upgrades for the alarm.

Also, can anyone advise on removing the existing SAB? Is it just a case of popping the front off and cutting wires to get rid of it? From what I can remenber they have an internal link to hold off the bell but obviously I won't have one that fits.

Thanks.

I'm new here, but I can see a real plus in having cameras that transmit data off-site AND are viewable from another location.

Imagine for a moment your wife and child are home during a break-in... I would think having images /video of the site would prove VERY useful in helping to keep your wife and child from becoming a "statistic".

PS: I too am in the market for a system that ties in cameras with a alarm system so PLEASE people when posting include the model number of units /link to website(s).

And what method of transmission do you propose for these images??
And where will they then be stored/backed up to?

And what method of transmission do you propose for these images??
And where will they then be stored/backed up to?

Are you asking, or are you making a statement?

Q: What method of transmission would you propose for these images??, Primary and backup method when phone lines /cable is cut?

What would you suggest in the way of hardware and software to transmit /store/backdata (images/video) of a event .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back