New back door is leaking...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new back door has water ingress through/under the door; we’ve noticed a damp patch on the screed on several occasions since installation. [The main builder cut a new hole for this door; the suppliers of the door installed the door].

Could this be due to a fault with the product/installation?

Or could be caused by the external paving level height? (I think this is about 20mm under the bottom of the sill).

If neither of these what would it likely to be?

Thanks.

backdoor.JPG

Sponsored Links
Does screed go up to external brickwork?

Is there a damp proof membrane between screed and brickwork?

Is house wall cavity or solid?

What vertical dpc has been fitted?

On door:
Is water getting under door? If the rain drives against the door water might be running down where the door meets the frame jambs and getting inside the water bar in the cill.

Does the door have a door drip on outside?

If its the door, then it may need an aluminium door threshold on the cill to stop the ingress. Exitex make them.

Thanks, please see answers below.

Does screed go up to external brickwork? Yes

Is there a damp proof membrane between screed and brickwork? I am not sure. Will need to ask the builder

Is house wall cavity or solid? Cavity

What vertical dpc has been fitted? Unsure if there is one?

Is water getting under door? If the rain drives against the door water might be running down where the door meets the frame jambs and getting inside the water bar in the cill. Should the frame/rebates not keep water out? I have attached the sections. I am not quite sure how it is getting in at the moment. The door is a little protected so I think it is a more general issue that driving rain. i.e. any rain.

Does the door have a door drip on outside? Yes

Attachments

• back_door.JPG
    back_door.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
if water was getting in under the door, you would see a puddle of water sitting on the cill.

if it isnt the door, then its likely to be the damp arrangement.

if the screed finished to the back of the external brickwork under the door cill, you should see damp proof membrane poking out above the screed.

If not then the screed could be touching wet brickwork.

Thanks. Here are pictures from the outside. It is quite close to the paving, but not touching.

IMG_8430.JPG IMG_8428.JPG

What DPC/DPM is required for a new door?

My builder believes the door installer should have added a DPC/DPM for a new door install and that this is the issue.

Thanks.

External ground is too high breaching any dpc.You ideally need two brick depth before external ground level.

The external ground has always been that height; and we have only started having a problem since the door was cut and new screed poured. Should there be a vertical dpm?

What DPC/DPM is required for a new door?

My builder believes the door installer should have added a DPC/DPM for a new door install and that this is the issue.

Thanks.
If the screed is new then whoever did the screed should have ensured the dpm wrapped up higher than the brickwork.

When the door went in the dpm should have come up the back of the door threshold.

I dont know which order etc things were done. However the screed clearly runs through to the back of the external skin of brickwork and my guess is that is where the problem is. On the outside rainwater is running across the paving and getting to the brickwork.

If the ends of the cavity are open at the door reveals then these should have been filled with a cavity closer.

a vertical dpc is usually needed where the brickwork returns at the door reveal.

Keep an eye on the door -if its leaking at the threshold then you should see signs of water ingress there and running down to the screed.

Im not sure who would be responsible for the dpc / dpm -depends on who was doing what, in what order. Id like the thing the builder should have made provision for it as part of is works, but then the installer should have checked as well. its possible the problem is below the door threshold -the door installer would only have been concerned with dpc under the door cill, not between screed and brickwork below.

If itsleaking below the door threshold, its probably best to take out the door frame and sort out.

Thanks all. I have dug a temporary (shingle filled) trench outside to allow any sitting water to drain away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back