Very little clearance on new back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve just had a new composite back door fitted. I was advised by the fitter to leave it shut for 24 hours if possible to allow the sealant to dry. Not a problem a we were using another door for entry and exit.

When I opened the door I found that there was less than 5mm clearance over the existing kitchen floor. I had bought a new doormat in anticipation of the new door. This mat is approximately 11mm thick.

Although the fitters had not seen this new mat I assumed that the clearance for this new door would be the same as that on the other external doors in the house.

The company in question has agree to remove the door and re-install it to give the required clearance and hopefully leave as neat a job as the original installation (except for the clearance!). The manager told me that they make the clearance as small as possible to avoid trip hazard. But if this was a problem to me I would have retro-fitted a sloping “so-fit” in front of the threshold.

My question is :- Is there not a standard clearance height for an external door threshold? If not should the fitter have established this very important dimension with me before the installation?

Hopefully my problem will be solved and I am asking this question in retrospect.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
No standard clearance. As they said I usually keep it as low as possible to avoid a trip hazard. The only regulation applies only to newbuilds and that one says it must be under 15mm for wheelchair access.

Its a good thing that they are coming to adjust it for you free of charge (I assume). Sounds like a good company who want you to be happy.

90% of company's would have just said there was no mat there when we measured or fitted it, So thats how it is.
Either that or they would have gone the other way and measured it poorly, Put a full height PVC threshold on it so you would have a 70mm up-stand that you tripped over every time you use the door.

Yep approved document M allows 15mm max for wheelchair access but only applies to new build, could be that this company is so on the ball they've applied that reg across the board, but as gaz says at least they're coming back which is fair enough, many wouldn't

I'd keep it how it is, one day you may well be thankful for it!

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Well pleased. The manager was as good as his word. Couple of guys came in the afternoon and refitted the door with the clearance I wanted for my door mat. Did a good neat job. Result!

Thanks for replies
Mike

Obviously a very nice and good company.
I would suggest a thank you card/email, Some good reviews on their website/facebook/google

I have a similar dilemma in a new kitchen extension. I have 15mm between backdoor and concrete screed. Thin mat needed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back