New base for vinyl floor

blb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm having a vinyl floor put in my kitchen and will be preparing the base layer myself. I'll be taking up a laminate floor and want to make the new floor come up to the same level (to avoid a large gap beneath the skirting board), so was planning on putting down a base layer of 9mm plywood on to the floor boards. It's a fairly large area so I'll need a few sheets of ply, which I'll be spacing 2mm apart and filling the gap with flexible adhesive to allow for expansion. Due to the thickness of the plywood, I was going to screw the sheets to the floor.

Can anyone see any problems I might have, or mistakes? Appologies if this has already been covered somewhere, although I've had a look on the search function on the forum but haven't really found much covering this type of project. All advice and links to helpful sites will be much appreciated.

cheers

Ben

Sponsored Links
vinyl tiles or vinyl sheet ?

Your floor preperation sounds ok although if you have gaps in your ply or slight height differences where the boards meet you should realy use a feather edge like f-ball 500 micro. www.f-ball.co.uk

And use 25mm ringshank nails at 150mm centres (b&q)

Otherwise sounds ok.

Thanks for reply. It's vinyl sheet that I'll be having put down.

With regard to using nails rather than screws, is there any advantage/disadvantage to using screws??? I just thought that this would give a more stable base and give the option of putting down ceramic tiles in the future if I wanted to.

thanks again

Sorry, missed the bit about the screws.. yes use them for an even better fix (but nailing is fine) but you have to make sure everyone is countesunk slightly beneath the surface then fill all holes or they'll show through.

If you plan on laying ceramic tiles at a later date you need to put down 18mm ply.

Sponsored Links
I have got my facts right.

Just read the forums on tiling blb.. 6mm ply lol...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back