New Bath Mixer and shower - Shower not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After starting the water flow I pull up the knob to switch the flow to the shower but when I release some water comes our of the shower but some trickles out the tap so that the pressure at the shower head is lower than we want. The shower is supposed to work at 0.5 bar.

What is the problem and What options do I have?

Sponsored Links
Is the hot water supplied from a combi, or a cylinder with cold water tank in the loft, or what?

Sponsored Links
I don't know the manufacturer. The supplier is Homebase and the tap type is Aster.

I don't know about the pressure. The shower in the room next door works fine. The cold feed is from tanks in the loft giving about 8 - 10 feet of pressure. The hot is from a cylinder in the basement. If I hold the knob up the shower pressure seems to fine to me. How can I measure the pressure?

I think the design needs more pressure but I thought 0.5bar (the pressure the manufacturer says it needs) was a very low pressure. If I increase the flow by opening both taps wider it works better but it never completely stops flowing from the tap (this is not a solution because it gives too much cold water).

Whats also annoying is the tap on the display in the showroom has a turn and lock mechanism but the unit supplied, although it looks the same, does not.

Thanks to those people who responded to my enquiry.
I've managed to get the shower to work satisfactorily by taking the return spring out of the shower switch over mechanism (what is the proper name for this). This spring returns the water from shower to bath filler after you switch off the shower. Without this extra downforce the water goes up to the shower with no leakage to the bath and when you switch off the shower gravity returns it to bath filler.

Glad you got it working. The spring, as you are no doubt aware, is to automatically return the outlet to the tap once the water is turned off, as a precautionary measure against turning the water on for a bath, having forgotten that it's being directed to the shower. Happy accidental wet heads to follow ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back