New bath moves a bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an Armitage Shanks Idealcast bath professionally fitted. There is a shower over the bath. When I get in the bath I notice that it does move very slightly - and I thought that an Idealcast bath would be rock solid. When the old bath was taken out it was found that the edges of some floorboards needed replacing as they had rotted and disappeared (!) over the years (the old bath was a rolltop). They were also supposed to reinforce the joist nearest to the wall, but I didn't see that this had been done. Do I need to be concerned that the new bath does move slightly (the mastic has already cracked at one end, evidence of movement) or is it just one of those things? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be moving at all-get them back in to check it.

Every bath I've ever fitted was done properly and rigid. It's the fitters job to quote for and carry out any strengthening reqd.

Sponsored Links
If sealant has split then bath is moving, and from my experiance having fitted many baths few are ever fitted correctly. most only have front legs screwed down, no wall brackets or a frame to support it. if the fitters knew it was to be used for showering also then it reqs extra strenghthening to allow for this.
You sound like a "i did it to instructions guy" bamber
I generally support all 4 corners with wood also to stop ends of bath flexing if weight is applied, never had a call back, for leaks or dodgy sealant. takes an hour longer but lasts years longer.

lagunaglen";p="978999 said:
You sound like a "i did it to instructions guy" bamber

Normally stick to the MI instructions, that way I don`t get sued for placing a screw or piece of wood where it should not be according to the diirections. Most of the the baths I fit are more expensive than the ones with screw up legs
;)

A decent fitter would have inspected any supporting structure, especially in the case of such a heavy item, and advised the customer accordingly. Of course the customer should ask for a return visit and investigation. She has not got what she paid for and, with such an installation, movement and mastic fracture is not "one of those things"

Just cos they are more expensive are you implying that your a better plumber?
Or do you do just as ****e a job with the expensive baths as you do wwith the cheap ones, snob.

Great at what, fitting baths to a poor standard?
Isnt that what diyers do?
Oh forgot you are a diyer arent you!!

Dont tend to fit many baths, too busy fixing boilers mate, now thats being snobby.

Bambergaspipe";p="979158 said:
Dont tend to fit many baths, too busy fixing boilers mate, now thats being snobby.

Calm down, i`m impressed, you fix boilers....I`m a Technician servicing the Concorde, I also have a huge appendage swinging in me keks.. ;) Get over yourself ;) .........

Is "Technician servicing the Concorde" another way of saying "Unemployed", seeing as Concorde is permanently out of action and therefore needs no servicing?

Oh Cambridge Mum, you posted a perfectly reasonable request for some advice over your concerns and, I trust, the one or two sensible replies have given you some help over this quite serious matter. Sadly however, like many other postings on this DIY forum, it has resulted in a disproportionate number of puerile and unhelpful comments, from people who seek to denigrate each other through the anonymity of a web based discussion group. It is a pity that these juvenile postings tend to obscure the true purpose of this mutually beneficial medium and, it is to be hoped that those who practice this infantile pastime will soon tire of it and, possibly, contribute to, say, the correspondence page of the "Dandy" comic, where they should find subjects more suited to their limited intellect.

Oh Cambridge Mum, you posted a perfectly reasonable request for some advice over your concerns and, I trust, the one or two sensible replies have given you some help over this quite serious matter. Sadly however, like many other postings on this DIY forum, it has resulted in a disproportionate number of puerile and unhelpful comments, from people who seek to denigrate each other through the anonymity of a web based discussion group. It is a pity that these juvenile postings tend to obscure the true purpose of this mutually beneficial medium and, it is to be hoped that those who practice this infantile pastime will soon tire of it and, possibly, contribute to, say, the correspondence page of the "Dandy" comic, where they should find subjects more suited to their limited intellect.

Are we not allowed to argue over who started it then!? :p

Agreed, although I think the OP's problem is now solved, so it doesn't really matter

Very Eloquent indeed, I`d retrace your steps & check your grammar, verbs & pronouns though, you seemed a little lost in the midde & at the end, good effort though.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back