New Bathroom and taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im going to refit a new bathroom and we are short on space. As such, we have decided to go for a bath with no tap holes and have the taps and mixer coming from the wall.

They turned up today and I expected there to be some kind of fixing bracket or something but all there is are 2 taps with 22mm connections and a mixer spout with nothing but a 22mm thread and a nut which secures it to the wall.

Im a little bemused because in order to tighten the nut and secure the spout Id need to finish the wall (tiled, grouted) but Id have to get behind the wall (stud luckily) to tighten the nut?? Any sugesstions.

Also, would I need to contruct some kind of frame to support the taps as there is nothing to secure them to the wall and I want to use pushfit for ease not copper??

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would help if you could identify the taps and preferably post a link to a web site picture/description of them. Or perhaps post a photo of your own. When you say 22mm thread, you presumably mean 3/4"?

Sponsored Links
The tech. drawings and pics on that link don't appear to show valve bodies, which is pretty useless. Without details of valve bodies I don't see how we can help.

Not many manufacturers give much attention to keeping their products buried, somehow, in a wall. I noted a Hudson Reed 3 knob bath shower mixer which had just two holes, near the middle, for screws. Useless.

Give HR a call and DO tell us what they say!

Phoned Hudson Reed and spoke to a lady on the technical support number. Now, Im not saying that women know nothing about plumbing but this one didnt.

According to her the taps are held in by nothing except the copper pipework which "should be OK, at least it always had".

It seems a bit ridiculous that these taps which are pretty heavy are held in place by the pipework and will then rest in the hole cut out of the plasterboard when they come through the wall. Madness.

Anyway, the taps have a 2 way compression fitting which is 22mm according to the helpline. As I wanted to make it easy and use pushfit, I assume that I will no longer be able to. Do you think it would be better for me to build some kind of frame on which I can support the taps and the spout and use push fit fittings instead as I wanted to avoid using copper. Also, with compression fittings, is it just a case of using them with copper pipe and tightening without the need for soldering, im not sure?

Thanks a lot.

ms2004 said:
Phoned Hudson Reed and spoke to a lady on the technical support number. Now, Im not saying that women know nothing about plumbing but this one didnt.

According to her the taps are held in by nothing except the copper pipework which "should be OK, at least it always had".

It seems a bit ridiculous that these taps which are pretty heavy are held in place by the pipework and will then rest in the hole cut out of the plasterboard when they come through the wall. Madness.

Then I would say you owe the lady an apology, she knows more than you.
Such fittings are normally fitted to back plate elbows which are screwed to the wall to provide the support, whether its a solid wall or a stud wall.

Look like the same ones Bathstore sell, the valves are no more than stopcocks with 22mm compression fittings, the spout has a backnut and is threaded 3/4BSP.

PICT0006.jpg

I fitted the ones in the picture as follows:

Panel at end of bath is 18mm marine ply with 12mm corian siliconed on top. 22mm feeds to taps are clipped to back of ply just below compression fitting. 22mm from tap is again clipped to ply just above comp fitting, these two supplies than go into a compression tee before joining the spout with a 3/4 FI - 22compression fitting. Silicon around valves before fitting shrouds. Solid as a rock.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back